• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Long Island Sound (1 Viewer)

Fantastic day, several very good views of some Northern Gannets - even got to see a dive. I've been trying to get a look at them for a while.
Also the usual amazing variety shore and water birds. Mergansers, Loon, Long tailed Duck, Bufflehead, Great Egret etc.

Wow, that is cool, I didn't know Gannets were in Long Island Sound, especially the side near NYC. I've only seen them a couple times here in Mass. but I just got some 12x binos to help see them more. They're huge birds! People in my club have some amazing stories about seeing dozens of them close to shore - apparently one time right in my town on the coast about 100 of them converged near the shore, I think in winter.

Wow, that is cool, I didn't know Gannets were in Long Island Sound, especially the side near NYC. I've only seen them a couple times here in Mass. but I just got some 12x binos to help see them more. They're huge birds! People in my club have some amazing stories about seeing dozens of them close to shore - apparently one time right in my town on the coast about 100 of them converged near the shore, I think in winter.
Me either! I was super surprised to hear that people were seeing them, especially around here.
To be honest at a distance I probably would have written them off as an egret or similar if I hadn't been told that other people were seeing them.
After my first distant views I was lucky enough to have a good long look at one flying past at maybe 1000 yards... Super distinct vs the local birds, and like you said huge!

It's been a great summer and now early fall - Highlights include a Least Bittern, confirming a breeding pair (at least) of Salt Marsh Sparrows, an early American Pipit, and the absolute kicker... a probable Bronx county first Say's Phoebe!

P6030140 (2).JPG
SALS

P9060189.jpg
AMPI

P9120351.jpg
SAPH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back