• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

easter weekend seahouses northumberland 29th-31st march (1 Viewer)

Prestdj

its good to be back
Ukraine
booked springhill farm campsite back in october for new year but that altered due to weather, so rearranged for easter
the site accomodates all sorts of accomodation caravans, motorhomes,campervans,tents, glamping pods and self accomondation and is clean and tidy with some very nice shower/toilets ie warm. a short 30 minute walk from seahouses plus the site has views of the farne islands and bamburgh castle its a great location
we arrived at 1700 on friday due to the van needing a new exhaust back box, evening was spent inside due to the rain.

saturday 30th march

walked to the beach as jessie the dog loves a good beach after plenty of rolls in the sand and a paddle in the sea we headed to seahouses, the harbour had eiders plus a long tailed duck colette found a grey plover on the edge of the outer harbour beach and i found 2 sandwich terns
after a lunch of scotch pies which are my most favourite of pies
on the walk back to the site i noticed a house ahead whiched looked familiar from my bird books......the old monks house bird observatory ran by eric ennion and his wife. monks house pool was very enjoyable with lots of gulls, teal,gadwall and tufted duck and a large group of curlew in the field, the sky was blue the sun warm so had a pleasant walk back with yellowhammers singing away bliss
evening of campfire and homemade mushroom and sweetcorn curry with pink footed geese heading to roost

sunday 31st march

headed off to holy island stunning as always
tried for the snow bunting but failed well the beach is massive, so parked at the official car park and for the first time we had a look around the village, pretty and over priced and every house looked to be an airbnb which is quite the norm for beautiful places nowadays
we stopped for a while by st cuthberts church which overlooks the mainland grey plover, red breasted merganser, eider and colette found a red throated diver close in shore her eyes are much better than mine.
fish and chips in the harbour at seahouses just as its the law in the uk to eat them at the coast,but they were average and possibly frozen and aged,ok but not good
got back and decided to head home as the weather for monday was not looking good, its no fun packing the awning away in the rain then drying it at home so left at 1730 and home for 2100 to sample our lindisfarne mead which is a very nice drink.

great place

Attachments

• IMG_0274.JPG
    IMG_0274.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0275.JPG
    IMG_0275.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0276.JPG
    IMG_0276.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
Love that brooding sky in 2nd pic Darrell! What goes in a Scotch pie (not whisky I hope!)?
highly peppered beef and mutton with a unique pastry and only mostly found in scotland hence the name but the further north in england you go they can be found though morrisons do sell them but nothing like a real one. we have been known to travel the 120 mile round trip to dales butchers in kirkby longsdale to pick a few up well ok a lot, a tasty but not stodgy pie, warmed up its stunning
had my first one dumfries around 1979 and loved them eversince scotch pie

Love that brooding sky in 2nd pic Darrell! What goes in a Scotch pie (not whisky I hope!)?
Minced mutton with lots of pepper, they are also called mutton pies. Other spices may be used, bakeries have their own recipes. There is an annual world championship.

Typically served with chips and baked beans.

The same pastry is used to make the macaroni pie.

David

Minced mutton with lots of pepper, they are also called mutton pies. Other spices may be used, bakeries have their own recipes. There is an annual world championship.

Typically served with chips and baked beans.

The same pastry is used to make the macaroni pie.

David
had few championship pies i seek them out when in scotland, our lass loves macaroni pies, for me scotch pie but have had cheeseburger pie nice and steak fajita pie, and ill just throw in lorne sausage which is tasty and the breakfast packs you can get at the butchers.scotland is unique for its friendly people and food

had few championship pies i seek them out when in scotland, our lass loves macaroni pies, for me scotch pie but have had cheeseburger pie nice and steak fajita pie, and ill just throw in lorne sausage which is tasty and the breakfast packs you can get at the butchers.scotland is unique for its friendly people and food
Have you tried a Forfar Bridie?

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back