• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Mexico March 2024 (1 Viewer)

I am contemplating an independent, budget trip for Western Mexico for about 3 weeks. It would involve visiting popular birding sites in the Mexican states of Sinaloa, Nayarit, Jalisco, Colima, Oaxaca and Chiapas. This would be an intensive birding trip to target Mexican endemics and near-endemics. No detailed itinerary has been set and we can make arrangements/adjustments as we go. No local guides or coordinators are planned. The main expenses would be car rental, gasoline, road tolls and basic accommodations; such costs would be shared evenly. We could start in Guadalajara and internal flights to/from Oaxaca might be wise. I am open to any ideas and suggestions. Should you be interested, please contact me directly and I will send you some of my current ideas.

Some observations/ recommendations from someone based in Mexico.

* If you can, fly to Mazatlan and start your trip there. Stay in the northern tip of the city (Cerritos) where you can easily go birding in the nearby estuaries. Lots of interesting species to see along the coast and it gets more interesting as you move south. San Blas in Nayarit, for instance, is a treasure trove.

* Car rentals with a drop off in another city would increase your budget significantly. You may consider car rentals in each city you visit.

* Take one of the several first class bus lines between cities that are about 6-hours apart. The seats are as nice as a business seat on a plane and they’re quite affordable.

* Unless you’re really familiar with the areas you’ll be visiting, it is advisable to hire a local guide for day trips, especially if you’re sharing the costs with someone. Cities in Mexico tend to be generally safe but the countryside can get dicey if you end up in the wrong place where narco activity can be a concern. Better to go with someone (a guide) with up-to-date intel.

Last edited:

* If you can, fly to Mazatlan and start your trip there. Stay in the northern tip of the city (Cerritos) where you can easily go birding in the nearby estuaries. Lots of interesting species to see along the coast and it gets more interesting as you move south. San Blas in Nayarit, for instance, is a treasure trove.

* Car rentals with a drop off in another city would increase your budget significantly. You may consider car rentals in each city you visit.

* Take one of the several first class bus lines between cities that are about 6-hours apart. The seats are as nice as a business seat on a plane and they’re quite affordable.

* Unless you’re really familiar with the areas you’ll be visiting, it is advisable to hire a local guide for day trips, especially if you’re sharing the costs with someone. Cities in Mexico tend to be generally safe but the countryside can get dicey if you end up in the wrong place where narco activity can be a concern. Better to go with someone (a guide) with up-to-date intel.
Far be it for me to question somebody who lives in Mexico, but a friend and I did an independent trip around this region (minus Oaxaca and Chiapas) a couple of years ago and didn't hire any guides, and I have to ask specifically where you think there is a risk from narcos? Even the Durango road in Sinaloa, which used to be considered insecure, is now safe (we bumped into a local bird guide who assured us of this). I know caution is always advisable in Mexico, but I'm not sure anywhere on the regular birding circuit is high risk if you take normal precautions.

I agree with DMW - while precaution and asking for up to date gen is warranted, no need for guides if you don’t want them. I’ve spent over a year in total in Mexico, including 7 months in a birding road trip. Ask around, ask locals about safety, take care where you owl and do your owling in the early AM instead of the PM. I would suggest absolutely not wild camping anywhere you might end up birding - always stay in a hotel in a town.

One way car rentals are pricey (and car rental in MX tends to be pricey) but when to fly vs bus vs drive are just time/$ equations. I’ve not used the busses in MX but use them regularly in AR and BR, they can be easier and more comfortable than flying or driving.

I do not want to be an alarmist since Mexico is overall a great place, plus it’s not helpful to this conversation. I have never had an issue in my 14 years living here (Mazatlan), knock on wood. Having said that, the sense of security/safety changes here all the time depending where you go and it can be very specific. You can go from a safe to unsafe area just 20 minutes apart by car. I couldn’t even begin to pinpoint specific locations deemed unsafe right now. But, generally, venturing into certain areas of the countryside - especially into the Sierras and its foothills - is where things can get strange. Staying/traveling on the main toll highway to Durango is, of course, fine. I know it is the same virtually everywhere in Mexico north of Mexico City. I am not familiar with the most southern states. Again, I, personally, would go with someone local who’s familiar with the area. I don’t believe guides here charge high prices to take someone birding for a day or two, plus it helps someone in the local economy. I am a beginner birder, so not familiar with rates. Obviously, you are free to do as you wish as mine are only “recommendations”. I would just hate to see someone on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere end up like those two birders from a couple of years ago. Look up on YouTube “birding in Mexico gone bad”. No one will most likely get hurt (especially if you are a foreigner) but the whole thing can be quite scary and unpleasant.

Last edited:
I do not want to be an alarmist since Mexico is overall a great place, plus it’s not helpful to this conversation. I have never had an issue in my 14 years living here (Mazatlan), knock on wood. Having said that, the sense of security/safety changes here all the time depending where you go and it can be very specific. You can go from a safe to unsafe area just 20 minutes apart by car. I couldn’t even begin to pinpoint specific locations deemed unsafe right now. But, generally, venturing into certain areas of the countryside - especially into the Sierras and its foothills - is where things can get strange. Staying/traveling on the main toll highway to Durango is, of course, fine. I know it is the same virtually everywhere in Mexico north of Mexico City. I am not familiar with the most southern states. Again, I, personally, would go with someone local who’s familiar with the area. I don’t believe guides here charge high prices to take someone birding for a day or two, plus it helps someone in the local economy. I am a beginner birder, so not familiar with rates. Obviously, you are free to do as you wish as mine are only “recommendations”. I would just hate to see someone on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere end up like those two birders from a couple of years ago. Look up on YouTube “birding in Mexico gone bad”. No one will most likely get hurt (especially if you are a foreigner) but the whole thing can be quite scary and unpleasant.
Sorry, just to be clear I was referring to the old Durango Highway rather than the cuota. It's now extremely quiet and goes through some great habitat.

Hi Chris,

Your comments and advice is much appreciated. I am thinking of flying to Guadalajara, Rent a car with unlimited miles there and drive to Mazatlan and bird the nearby sites there. Then drive south to San Blas, bird there for a few days and then drive to Jalisco and Colima sites. When finished there, we return the rental car back at Guadalajara. Take a flight from Guadalajara to Oaxaca; with another car rental, bird the sites in Oaxaca and Chiapas. I am less concerned with narcos as I am with Mexican police harassment/extortion. I found that to be a repeated problem when I drove alone in Yucatan, some five years back.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back