• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whale hunting resumes once more (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/29/japan-to-resume-whaling-programme

It appears that the Japanese have been given the go ahead to hunt whales in the next year.. again!!:C

Is is about time this all stopped and the Japanese Government put an end to this ancient barbaric sport! (goes in line with Fox Hunting, Hare coursing shooting BoP's, etc...

As for the scientific excuses that is a lie to hunt whales in the first place

Last edited:
See the link below your post.

The only people who gave the 'go ahead' were the Japanese, against an International court ruling.

Perhaps we should take Japans 'Whaling Minister' throw him in his pool, skewer him in his back or abdomen with an exploding arrow and drag him him from the pool, all in the name of science of course.

Andy

Last edited:
See the link below your post.

The only people who gave the 'go ahead' were the Japanese, against an International court ruling.

Perhaps we should take Japans 'Whaling Minister' throw him in his pool, skewer him in his back or abdomen with an exploding arrow and drag him him from the pool, all in the name of science of course.

Andy

Hi Andy

I noted this 'article' on the 'live' news feed last night on the Freeview Channel 108 - called Al Jazeera (the best news channel for alternative up to date news not heard on the main stream new channels)

I see that Australia (one of the many countries) where only too happy to go legal, and take the Japanese to court...!

You are right in what you say...the Japanese are a law unto themselves and seen to have no respect for wildlife at all.

My experience is that the "no respect to nature at all" may be applicable when it comes to marine life, but they are actually pretty invested in conservation of terrestrial fauna including birds. Probably more so than many comparable western first world countries.

Take care not to cast all with the same stone : http://www.env.go.jp/en/nature/nps/park/

Best wishes,

Sadly it is the minority (or those who are plain ignorant) that spoil things for others around them in the big wide world.

Whale hunting is old fashioned, and 'man' wanting to hunt for his food unnecessary these days because we have all the food we need (other the less fortunate countries who suffer a lot of starvation and inhuman ways)
I could understand if one of the less well to do countires wanted to whale hunt and the need to do it - Japan is not one of those countries! so there is no excuse at all!

The world is a beautiful place, and we all should do our best to 'look' after it in our lifetime in the best way we can.

My experience is that the "no respect to nature at all" may be applicable when it comes to marine life, but they are actually pretty invested in conservation of terrestrial fauna including birds. Probably more so than many comparable western first world countries.

That is the best way to invest money, and is that is to help nature not to hunt it.

Last edited:
I think a lot of Japanese are opposed to whaling but the industry there wields a lot of influence rather like the shooting industry does here. I would direct my criticism at the industry itself and their friends in high places rather than at the Japanese in general.

James.

I think a lot of Japanese are opposed to whaling but the industry there wields a lot of influence rather like the shooting industry does here. I would direct my criticism at the industry itself and their friends in high places rather than at the Japanese in general.

James.

If the Japanes blanket boycotted eating the stuff, there'd be no viable reason to catch them.

I don't know why they eat it, kudos maybe 'look how wealthy I am, I can afford Whale meat' or is some other archaic superstition?

This isn't a hobby like shooting where a rich guy buys a gun and then pays an even richer guy to shoot stuff on his land. This is an endeavour costing millions.

If the Japanese public really wanted to stop this barbarity I'm pretty sure it would happen quite quickly.

Andy

Last edited:
Hi Andy, while I accept what you're saying regarding the cost of the exercise I think the point with the whaling fleet is that they view it as a national resource and also that whaling is a cultural right.

As you know the views and opinions of the general population are not always represented by their governments and also that environmental concerns play little or no part in determining policies. The Japanese actions have been declared illegal by an international court but what punitive actions can be taken should they decide to go ahead with their murderous activities? I'm completely opposed to any whaling at any level but my objections amount to hot air, only the Japanese can force a change of policy and hopefully they can bring it about sooner rather than later.

it doesn't take a large number of people to create a market for a product but rather a lot of money from a limited number of privileged folks as the demand for Ortolans has proven.

James.

If the Japanes blanket boycotted eating the stuff, there'd be no viable reason to catch them.

I don't know why they eat it, kudos maybe 'look how wealthy I am, I can afford Whale meat' or is some other archaic superstition?

This isn't a hobby like shooting where a rich guy buys a gun and then pays an even richer guy to shoot stuff on his land. This is an endeavour costing millions.

If the Japanese public really wanted to stop this barbarity I'm pretty sure it would happen quite quickly.

Andy

Whale meat consumption is pretty much on the decline in Japan, to the point that whale hunting in the Antarctic isn't even profitable; The industry is almost entirely supported via government subsidies. And it's not a luxury item; A lot of whale meat actually ends up served at public schools.

Basically a lot of long distance Japanese Whaling is supported by older individuals and is really more about tradition and "cultural warfare" between the West and East than anything else. Best angle to actually take in stopping Antarctic whaling would be to attack the subsidies from an economic perspective.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back