• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What bird is this? SEQ Australia (1 Viewer)

reignbeau

Australia
Hi. This black bird with a white necklance has been around for a while. Looks like a crow but all out crows are black. Thanks for any help.-7549404700937863428.jpg570788847818391089.jpg

ok thanks. he doesn't have white at the tail like a kurrajong. Just that white necklace. And the eye is a funny colour too. Thanks
There are three Currawong species, without white, in or under the tail, it sounds like Black Currawong, is there white in the wing tips?

Don't think Black is found in QLD, and not on the mainland Andy. Tasmania and some other islands I believe.

Oops. Posted before I finished. This photo is a neighbour's shot and he sees it more often than me. We think it is black all over except for the white you see. He must be an aberrant kurrajong. I assumed we wouldn't get blacks up here in SEQ though?

Hi reignbeau and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Don't think Black is found in QLD, and not on the mainland Andy. Tasmania and some other islands I believe.
HI. I have been looking at grey kurrajong variants. Some of these are almost all black. Could it be an aberant of one of them in SEQ? It really doesn't look like our local pied kurraongs in terms of tail markings.

On bill structure I'd say Currawong but we'd need to see more for a definitive ID.
Hi Andy. I now have a better photo. It has definitie light blue eyes and has a crow-friend so I am thinking it is a juvenile crow. I would post a picture here but I don't know how to do it in a reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back