• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What do I have here? (1 Viewer)

SteveC_07

Two or three of these showed up at my feeders yesterday in south central Kansas.

Attachments

• Unknown.JPG
    Unknown.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 194
I would probably mark this down as 'unidentifiable' to race. There just seem to be too many intermediate characteristics to be certain of lineage.

We get a few immaculate 'oregon-type' and a very [very] few mearnsi [two accepted records] in Ontario and both are strikingly dissimilar to eastern variants.

Without jumping off the deep end and getting into the whole surfbird junco discussion, I tend to just look for 'textbook' examples of 'oregon group' [recall there are 7 races involved! ] and mearnsi and forget about the rest. Assuming there is a broad area of overlap and interbreeding between western races, there should also be a broad and diverse range of potential variants, all of unclear parentage and [mostly] unidentifiable.

I spent a few seasons banding thousands of Juncos at Long Point and we recorded a great many birds that [even in the hand] could not be sussed out to race. The amount of potential variation was rather mind-numbing, as we never seemed to get a handle on what we were holding at the time! In the end, it was simpler to just let the 'odd' ones go.;)

edit - Forgot to add, if you had three of 'these', chances are very good they are not western juncos, likely variants of eastern-types.

Last edited:
I would probably mark this down as 'unidentifiable' to race. There just seem to be too many intermediate characteristics to be certain of lineage.

We get a few immaculate 'oregon-type' and a very [very] few mearnsi [two accepted records] in Ontario and both are strikingly dissimilar to eastern variants.

Without jumping off the deep end and getting into the whole surfbird junco discussion,

edit - Forgot to add, if you had three of 'these', chances are very good they are not western juncos, likely variants of eastern-types.

James,

I actually read that whole surfbird discussion. It was mind-numbing! I was able to see two birds side by side today in good light. They are virtually identical except one has very noticeable black lores and the other doesn't. The bird I'm really hoping to get a picture of is (I've been told) a male Rocky Mountain variant per a Sibley book that I don't have. (Do you know if this is the same as the Cassiar?) Very striking - looks like a regular SC Junco with a coal-black hood. Oh well, the last few years all I got was hordes of standard slate-colored.

What you describe sounds like Cassiar to me, although I have only seen a few that I could ever ID with any certainty. [adult males]

Someone like Rick Wright or Gavin Bieber may have more experience with these races. Maybe they will chime in. Better yet, get that photo!

This is one of two of my feeder birds I believe are male Cassiar's. The other one had no trace of brown on its back whereas this one has a little bit.

Attachments

• DE Junco Cassiar 5.jpg
    DE Junco Cassiar 5.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 55
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back