• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What have I seen in Skye, UK? (1 Viewer)

phil123

Hello, on holiday in Isle of Skye, Scotland, and saw an unusual bird - to me at least. Nothing like it in Bill Oddie's Birds of Britain, the only bird book I have with me.

About the size and shape of a mistle thrush. Flying from rock to rock on a coastal outcrop. Bobbing dancing and calling on each rock. A very distinctive harsh call, almost a rattle. Making lots of noise!

Head and body pale grey, underside slightly reddish-grey or pinkish-grey. A very thick and distinctive black eyestripe (like a shrike's).

Obvious reddish or orangey patch at throat. Wings black or dark colour. Rump bright white in flight, tail white and black.

Sorry didn't get the beak or leg colour. Beak was not large or I would have noticed it.

Any ideas what this might have been? Thanks Phil.

Habitat sounds better for Wheatear than Jay. Must read posts properly although Mistle Thrush size is pushing it a bit.

Many thanks for all your replies. Yes male Wheatear does fit except for the size - I was convinced it was a much bigger bird, but perhaps I was mistaken. It was on rocks at some distance so not much to give scale. Wheatear is not a bird I would see at home so perhaps that is what I saw.

Is there a recording available on a website of that very distinctive harsh call I heard? That would confirm the ID for me. The RSPB Wheatear page has a song you can play but it isn't the call I heard.

This is an excellent forum, many thanks again for the help.

Phil

Hi Phil and welcome to Birdforum from all the Staff here.

There's a recording here in the Opus article, scroll down towards the bottom of the page. Maybe this one will match the sound you heard.

D

Many thanks Delia. I think my bird must have been a male wheatear, I have seen lots more of them today, but strangely, all silent!

Phil.

Just to cheer you up... where on Skye were you.... you may well have seen a wheatear, probably, and probably a male... but just by chance, it wasn't a corn crake you heard was it by any chance? Are wheatears really that loud with a distinctive rattle? Just a thought! (happened to me... but knew the script). Of course, hearing is one thing, seeing a corn crake is a totally different ball game! I didn't.
g

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back