• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is it, exactly? (1 Viewer)

mrsnetpro

We thought it might be a falcon, but once I took pictures it doesn't look like one. There is normally one circling above, but today there were four, each appearing a few minutes apart. At some point fifty or so small birds decided to hide in the trees until the moved on.

Here's the URL where I published them (I can post them here but I thought it might be easier to click).

Thanks so much in advance!

http://www.aplaceforkids.com/birds.htm

Hi there 'm' and welcome to Bird Forum from all the Moderators and Admin. Staff.
I'm sure someone will be along shortly with some thoughts as to the identification of your raptor.

Chris

I was thinking that these were Turkey Vultures, although the underwing pattern is quite strange. The bird bottom-left seems to have the silvery primaries and secondaries only on one wing. Is this an effect of the light or is this because these are young birds?

Should be C. aurea. only other possible with a profile like this would be Coragyps and it would be way out of range on the Jersey Shore

Im not sure the wing pattern seen from below of Cathartes aura would match Coragyps atratus, if its the Black Vulture you were referring to.

tracker

Tracker,

I was offering the only possible alternative, in my view, to Cathartes aurea, which I believe that it is. Coragyps when adult has 4-5 primaries which are white and it has the fan-tail as does Cathartes. But, we should not see any redness near the head, as we do here, because even when juvenile the Coragyps head is black.

Hi cuckooroller,

Im aware my last posting did appear a little abrupt, but it was'nt meant in that tone. I think i was rushed to adding the comment before going off to do something else.

Hope this adds to our understanding of the situation.

You made a good point........... :t:

tracker

Well, living in New Jersey there are a lot of turkeys to hunt (ok so most are of the human variety)...

Those pictures were taken from west to east at 1:00 or so. I did zoom in since they were about a half mile away, but I don't think that would have altered the color since I didn't do anything other than resize them. If they were young, would that mean that one would be leading and then the others would come along if the first one found food? They do a lot of circling, catching the air and letting it take them higher, than they move their wings and fly towards the north. I normally see one of them every day (at least when I am home), but this was the first time I saw several. I do have another picture with them all circling over the ocean (did I mention I am at the Jersey Shore?), but I can't really zoom in or shrink it or it loses the clarity.

Thanks!
Stacy

I forgot to add my husband thinks it is birdus flyus closus (brit sense of humor)... I just saw the additional replies, I don't see any red at all. I do know there are peregrine falcons that nest about 15 miles north west of us, but they don't seem to be light enough to be them. Before I posted my query I did as much digging around as I could to see if I could find anything close, but unfortunately I ran out of patience with all the popups and "page not found" to get through the 50,000 or so hits I got.
Thanks again from this novice, but quite curious bird watcher.

If they were young, would that mean that one would be leading and then the others would come along if the first one found food? They do a lot of circling, catching the air and letting it take them higher, than they move their wings and fly towards the north. I normally see one of them every day (at least when I am home), but this was the first time I saw several.
Thanks!
Stacy[/QUOTE]

Stacy,

Though the New World Vultures are in Ciconidae (with the Storks) and the Old World Vultures are in Accipitridae (with the Raptors) there are many similarities in the way that they look for carrion. They all basically sight hunters that ride the thermals and space themselves out over an area while all of the other vultures are in eye-contact, as it were. If one sees somethings and goes down onto a carrion the others see that he's no longer at his place and follow him down.

:news: ;)

tracker said:
Hi cuckooroller,

Im aware my last posting did appear a little abrupt, but it was'nt meant in that tone. I think i was rushed to adding the comment before going off to do something else.

Hope this adds to our understanding of the situation.

You made a good point........... :t:

tracker

Tracker,

Not too worry! Duking it out on bird identification can be taxing but it is also in fun and certainly no life and death thing. All contrary opinions are welcome and in the end should lead to the truth of the bird.

B :) :h?:

Thanks to all, it would appear from some more digging that it is a turkey vulture since the Sandy Hook society mentions that one specifically as being "resident".

I greatly appreciate your time!

Regards,
Stacy

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back