• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is Opus? questions and answer thread. (6 Viewers)

Andy Bright

Administrator
Staff member
England
If you have any questions regarding Opus, please ask them on this thread.

What is Opus? Rasmus summed it up very nicely here
The Opus can be compared to an updated version of the earlier database. Each species of bird has a page, in some cases with photos and articles. The further it progress, the more species are likely to get a page with at least some info. So, if you need a bit of info about some species you can do a search, and if lucky... there'll be a page with some info on it. Need a bit of info about the Moluccan King Parrot? Here's the page:

http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Moluccan_King_Parrot

If the page for the specific species is blank, you have the possibility of clicking "edit", and adding any info you may have. So, why not just stick with the previous database? Well, it had some pretty clear limitations. Only a single photo could be uploaded per species (now there's the possibility of using more than one, e.g. if males and females differ), there was no real possibility if linking between species (e.g. if the text about species X mentions that it often eats species Y, you can now add a link. So if you're not quite certain about species Y, a single click will take you the page for it), only a single name could be used (e.g. "Dunnock" would give no results in the old database, as this species was listed under Hedge Accentor. Now a forward page will take you to the correct page, even if searching for Dunnock).

Furthermore, the new system also includes localities. Do you need to know a bit about e.g. Skomer in Wales? Well, here's a page:

http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Skomer_%28Wales%29

And, if you know more about that locality than what is mentiomed on above page, click "edit", and your info can be added. The platform used in the Opus is pretty flexible, so even more can be added in the future (e.g. pages explaining a bit about various body-parts in birds, such as tertials).

cheers,
Andy

Is there a way to link the photos directly from the BF gallery to the pages in the Opus, or do you have to re-save them as photos in the Opus section, before they can be linked to an Opus article?

Last edited:
Hi Rasmus, I'm afraid they need to be saved and re-uploaded to the opus section. It's not as slow a process as you'd think, once you get the hang of it. It does have the benefit of the image not being at the mercy of the gallery, i.e. like the red crosses we had in the old database when an image had been moved or changed in any way.
In fact it could open up more possibilities with the gallery itself, and that we may be able to split Australian birds off from the current massive mix of Asia and Australia.
cheers
Andy

O.K. Andy

Can you tell me what OPUS is, ie. Who its target is, and why.
What is it going to do for us?

Obviously the changes were made for a purpose.

??

Thanks

Alan

Basically it's an all-encompassing resource for everything on the site (in due course) We do implore members to have a little patience at this very early stage, and rest assured that the presentation and navigation will be transformed.

The beauty is that members are involved, it's not just some pre-selected editors.

At the moment, Birdforum has the largest photo database of bird species out of any online resource, so it makes sense to present this along with every relevant scrap of info on these species... which can only come from public contributions.

Likewise with birding locations, which will grow and grow with members contributing, and constant updating.

Birdforum is the largest birdng site on the web, without doubt in terms of members, it makes sense to try and put all that knowledge into one system to help eachother.

cheers,
Andy

Basically it's an all-encompassing resource for everything on the site (in due course)
At the moment, Birdforum has the largest photo database of bird species out of any online resource, so it makes sense to present this along with every relevant scrap of info on these species... which can only come from public contributions.

Likewise with birding locations, which will grow and grow with members contributing, and constant updating.

[ Cut ].

cheers,
Andy

Thanks Andy.

O.K. Andy

Can you tell me what OPUS is, ie. Who its target is, and why.
What is it going to do for us?

Obviously the changes were made for a purpose.

??

Thanks

Alan

Not Andy, but I think I, at least in part, can answer some of your questions. The Opus can be compared to an updated version of the earlier database. Each species of bird has a page, in some cases with photos and articles. The further it progress, the more species are likely to get a page with at least some info. So, if you need a bit of info about some species you can do a search, and if lucky... there'll be a page with some info on it. Need a bit of info about the Moluccan King Parrot? Here's the page:

If the page for the specific species is blank, you have the possibility of clicking "edit", and adding any info you may have. So, why not just stick with the previous database? Well, it had some pretty clear limitations. Only a single photo could be uploaded per species (now there's the possibility of using more than one, e.g. if males and females differ), there was no real possibility if linking between species (e.g. if the text about species X mentions that it often eats species Y, you can now add a link. So if you're not quite certain about species Y, a single click will take you the page for it), only a single name could be used (e.g. "Dunnock" would give no results in the old database, as this species was listed under Hedge Accentor. Now a forward page will take you to the correct page, even if searching for Dunnock).

Furthermore, the new system also includes localities. Do you need to know a bit about e.g. Skomer in Wales? Well, here's a page:

http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Skomer_(Wales)

And, if you know more about that locality than what is mentiomed on above page, click "edit", and your info can be added. The platform used in the Opus is pretty flexible, so even more can be added in the future (e.g. pages explaining a bit about various body-parts in birds, such as tertials).

EDIT: Andy was faster than I.

Last edited:
Hi Rasmus, I'm afraid they need to be saved and re-uploaded to the opus section.

What's the BirdForum policy on forwarding photos from the gallery to the Opus? Does placing a photo in the gallery mean that it freely can be uploaded to the Opus by someone else, as long as the copyright-holder is clearly acknowledged (the usual "photo by X")?

What's the BirdForum policy on forwarding photos from the gallery to the Opus? Does placing a photo in the gallery mean that it freely can be uploaded to the Opus by someone else, as long as the copyright-holder is clearly acknowledged (the usual "photo by X")?

The reality is that an uploaded photo is simply being moved from one part of the site to another, the copyright isn't effected, in that it is still 100% the photographers. As with the old database, credit is guaranteed and the photo will be removed upon request. Whether it is a moderator, admin or an authorised member, it shouldn't make any difference in the process of transporting the images to another area of birdforum.net

I think somewhere on the site we have some text stating that photos uploaded to the gallery maybe used elsewhere on the site for the database.

I'm as protective of my photographs as anyone (and legally enforced my copyright at times), but I can't see the slightest issue in this particular case. You'd need to be pretty sad to refuse permission for your image to be displayed in such a manner.

The photos uploaded by members shouldn't be altered in anyway without prior permission.

cheers
Andy

Alan

Glad somebody else asked I thought it was just me being a bit slow. At first glance the difference between a normal forum thread and Opus seems a bit obscure. At second glance its still confusing. I think the mods are going to have to be a bit more proactive here to kick it off eg. moving suitable threads across - information wanted, birdwatching holiday reports etc.

Alan

Glad somebody else asked I thought it was just me being a bit slow. At first glance the difference between a normal forum thread and Opus seems a bit obscure. At second glance its still confusing. I think the mods are going to have to be a bit more proactive here to kick it off eg. moving suitable threads across - information wanted, birdwatching holiday reports etc.

You wouldn't believe how many have been removed/moved (although we let them stand for a while just to see if they are accidental or not).

We did set up a pop-up that appeared when anyone clicked the discussion tab in opus, warning that proceeding will create a thread and it was to be used solely for opus related discussion... but it maybe that it's being blocked on some members browsers. We're still considering the 'discussion' tab's future.

cheers,
Andy

Hi Andy,
Opus is a fantastic idea and you guys should really be congratulated for creating a wikipedia type of resource like this.
I wanted to ask a question: I have a growing number of photo-galleries on my blog (over 170 now and more added every week). As far as I've always been concerned they're online principally as a resource for other birders to use. One of the edit options in Opus is 'external links'. I don't want to break any rules (or if not 'rules' then conventions or wiki-etiquette), but would linking to my own galleries from the relevant bird species in Opus be something you'd welcome or strictly disapprove of?
Cheers

Not Andy, but I think I, at least in part, can answer some of your questions. The Opus can be compared to an updated version of the earlier database. Each species of bird has a page, in some cases with photos and articles. The further it progress, the more species are likely to get a page with at least some info. So, if you need a bit of info about some species you can do a search, and if lucky... there'll be a page with some info on it. Need a bit of info about the Moluccan King Parrot? Here's the page:

http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Skomer_(Wales)

EDIT: Andy was faster than I.

Thanks Rasmus, that's a great explanation and it certainly makes things far easier for me to understand anyway.

Many thanks indeed!

Sue.

Hi Andy,
Opus is a fantastic idea and you guys should really be congratulated for creating a wikipedia type of resource like this.
I wanted to ask a question: I have a growing number of photo-galleries on my blog (over 170 now and more added every week). As far as I've always been concerned they're online principally as a resource for other birders to use. One of the edit options in Opus is 'external links'. I don't want to break any rules (or if not 'rules' then conventions or wiki-etiquette), but would linking to my own galleries from the relevant bird species in Opus be something you'd welcome or strictly disapprove of?
Cheers

Not too sure about this, the external links was intended for links external to opus but still on birdforum i.e. the media links to song. The idea of opus is about members contributing and to have as much in Opus as possible rather than sending people off to personal websites but you're more than welcome to upload a photo where relevant. The prospect of broken links in the future isn't too appealing either.

cheers,
Andy

Andy

Is there any chance of adding the explanation provided by Ramus into your post #1 ?.

It think it needs to be somewhere easily accessible from the OPUS page.

Last edited:
Andy

Is there any chance of adding the explanation provided by Ramus into your post #1 ?.

It think it needs to be somewhere easily accessible from the OPUS page.

Done, but I suspect a separate piece would be more appropriate. I'll alter the thread name though.

cheers,
Andy

Can I ask what the specific intention is with locations - should they be organised by place eg North Norfolk and the entry lists specific sites or by specific sites eg Holme, Snettisham RSPB etc. If it's done in both ways is there then a way of crosslinking so that people can search for sites in an area in which they are visiting as well as info on sites they already know about? And is there a plan to plot the locations on a map eventually?

Really brilliant idea, btw. When it's finished it will be fantastic - nothing like it anywhere.

Helen

Hi Helenelizabeth,

Just the question I'd like answered. It is fantastic though and will be marvellous when even more is provided.

A terrific idea!

Sue.

How do you upload equipment reviews on Opus? What happened to the dates of previous reviews? I can't seem to find information as easily as I could.
The colour scheme is awful. It wasn't that long ago since the last upgrade this one just seems confusing.
Can't seem to find the answers to my questions.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back