• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What kind of birds are these? (1 Viewer)

Yep, still Laughing Gulls. Notice the small white primary tips (vs. a Franklin's large ones). Also, I don't think kathijo has specified whether or not the photos were taken in Illinois; when and where were these taken?

overworkedirish said:
Yep, still Laughing Gulls. Notice the small white primary tips (vs. a Franklin's large ones). Also, I don't think kathijo has specified whether or not the photos were taken in Illinois; when and where were these taken?

I was wondering this myself. What is the status of Laughing Gull in Illinois?
|:S|

jcwings said:
I was wondering this myself. What is the status of Laughing Gull in Illinois?
|:S|

According to Sibley, There have been multiple "rare sightings" in Illinois, but nothing concrete at all. If you ask me, I think we should wait for kathijo to respond regarding location; the background of the photo looks like ocean, which is also not common in Illinois... 8-P

overworkedirish said:
According to Sibley, There have been multiple "rare sightings" in Illinois, but nothing concrete at all. If you ask me, I think we should wait for kathijo to respond regarding location; the background of the photo looks like ocean, which is also not common in Illinois... 8-P
The primary spots on the tail are small indicating the difference between the Franklin and the Laughing. However where is the red bill?? unless there is a phase not included in Sibleys. Now about the water. Illinois does border Lake Michigan. so there is a large body of water like a small ocean. and the lakes do open out to the Atlantic so to speak through the St lawrence seaway. I think they are Laughing Gulls.

Interestingly enough, the second to bottom photo in JanJ's first link would seem to disprove the notion that adult summer Franklin's Gulls can't have primary tips that look like Laughing Gulls. For those who don't live in this region of the United States, I would caution that seeing a pair of Laughing Gulls casually hanging out together in Chicago has about the same probability as that of seeing a pair of Ring-billed Gulls hanging out together in London -- meaning great caution is quite appropriate.

That said, I think that Kathijo has sent us a vacation or trip photo, and that the birds are Laughing Gulls. For reasons of eye crescents, tertial crescents, bill shape and color, and primary projection, as well as the obvious primary patterns...

Last edited:
overworkedirish said:
If you ask me, I think we should wait for kathijo to respond regarding location; the background of the photo looks like ocean, which is also not common in Illinois... 8-P
If you run your cursor over the photo, its label says "Birds at Rocky Point", and there is a Rocky Point in southern Illinois in a huge state park that has a lake with an 18-mile perimeter.

oddly enough RB Gull is a reg in London :)

found two meself

Thayeri said:
Interestingly enough, the second to bottom photo in JanJ's first link would seem to disprove the notion that adult summer Franklin's Gulls can't have primary tips that look like Laughing Gulls. For those who don't live in this region of the United States, I would caution that seeing a pair of Laughing Gulls casually hanging out together in Chicago has about the same probability as that of seeing a pair of Ring-billed Gulls hanging out together in London -- meaning great caution is quite appropriate.

That said, I think that Kathijo has sent us a vacation or trip photo, and that the birds are Laughing Gulls. For reasons of eye crescents, tertial crescents, bill shape and color, and primary projection, as well as the obvious primary patterns...

London Birder said:
oddly enough RB Gull is a reg in London :)

found two meself

Over the years you've found two Ring-belleds yourself? Or you've found two of them together as a pair, sunning themselves side by side away from the other gulls?

My point was not that Laughing Gulls are impossible in Illinois. It was that, as with other comparative rarities, finding a pair is in general much less likely than a singleton. And that it is entirely appropriate for people to be taking that into account in this thread...

Nice catch on the photo label by the way, Katy. Looking at Sibley's green dots, it does appear that southern Illinois would be more likely to get Laughing Gulls than northern Illinois and my assumption of Chicago.

Hi Thayeri,
Hardly relevant, I know, but I have regularly seen up to FIVE adult Ring-billed Gulls together at a site on the outskirts of Cork city here in Ireland, and 2-3 together in full breeding plumage before they leave for the summer.
The gulls are Laughing Gulls, by the way....
Regards,
Harry

Harry Hussey said:
Hi Thayeri,
Hardly relevant, I know, but I have regularly seen up to FIVE adult Ring-billed Gulls together at a site on the outskirts of Cork city here in Ireland, and 2-3 together in full breeding plumage before they leave for the summer.
The gulls are Laughing Gulls, by the way....
Regards,
Harry

Hi Harry,

It sounds like ring-billeds are much more common in Ireland then than Laughing Gulls would be in my northern Illinois assumption, so my choice of examples wasn't the best.

As you can see on my first post, I do agree the birds are Laughing Gulls, by the way... ;) However, those who are still learning gulls should be encouraged in their geographical skepticism in my opinion, for Franklin's is thousands of times more likely in that area, and if you can't tell a Laughing Gull for sure -- then you should be skeptical.

Hi Thayeri,
Point taken, I certainly wouldn't want to be seen as encouraging someone to identify unfamiliar birds as rarities far too readily!
Regards,
Harry

"However, those who are still learning gulls should be encouraged in their geographical skepticism in my opinion, for Franklin's is thousands of times more likely in that area, and if you can't tell a Laughing Gull for sure -- then you should be skeptical."

You are of course right in this Thayeri, and I had planned to write more about the differences between the two.

JanJ

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back