• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What kind of hummingbird is this? (1 Viewer)

pken1997

Shot this yesterday in Sierra Madre, CA. Since I'm not a bird watcher, I have no idea what species this is. I was told you all could solve the mystery right quick.

Attachments

• IMG_4154_DxO.jpg
    IMG_4154_DxO.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4162_DxO.jpg
    IMG_4162_DxO.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 76
I'm thinking Anna's for image 1 (apparant short straight bill, the general cosmetic with green spotting on the belly).

Allen's for image 2, showing orange rump/eye-brow and ear coverts, with slightly curved bill and shortish wings.

cheers

someone else said that this was a female Rufous one. I thought I was tracking the same, solitary bird. But you've pointed out some obvious differences. Hmmm...

someone else said that this was a female Rufous one. I thought I was tracking the same, solitary bird. But you've pointed out some obvious differences. Hmmm...

It could be either (Rufous/Allen's) as the plumage can be very similar and variable with sub adults.

I was more influenced (rightly or wrongly?) by the 'apparant' bill curvature, allowing it to take structural precedence over the cosmetic.

cheers

Female and immature hummingbirds can always be hard...

You definitely have two different birds. I feel pretty comfortable calling the first an Anna's. The second is harder, and I can't differentiate between an Allen's or Rufous (both are possible at your location this time of year).

It could be either (Rufous/Allen's) as the plumage can be very similar and variable with sub adults.

I was more influenced (rightly or wrongly?) by the 'apparant' bill curvature, allowing it to take structural precedence over the cosmetic.

cheers

PKen, you definitely have two different species here. I vote for juvenile Anna's for image 1. I still can't decide between Allen's and Rufous for the second pic. I might lean more toward Allen's since they are more common in SoCal.

(XT)

PS. Welcome to Birdforum!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back