• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What waders... awful pic (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I took this at Ocean Beach, Western Australia in November 2019. Pretty sure the two wee ones on the right are Red-necked Stint and Red-capped Dotterel, but the two on the left, think one is a Ruddy Turnstone, but just can't work out the other.

Any ideas? A very distant image, I've only cropped a very little.

BF  Red-necked Stint, Red-capped Dottere and friends for ID.jpg

Hi Delia, I was wondering if the left most is a common sandpiper, seems to have the white stripe by the shoulder. Sorry, not even a guess to the other.
steve
Thanks Joe

On my pc the left-most one appears to have a black breast and those lovely orangey legs of a turnstone. But I see, now, what you mean by that white shoulder strip. More visible when I click for magnify on this picture.

hi Delia, I see what you mean by the dark breast but perhaps that is shadow? As MacNara said, none of the waders look like turnstones to me but I have very little experience with them so can't really help on that score.

I'll take the Red-capped Dotterel. The other three look the same to me (any apparent size difference just apparent). I can't see any Ruddy Turnstone.
The one second from the right could well be another RN Stint, I just couldn't make it out really, just hoped others with more seaside experience could.

Thanks MacN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back