• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What was this starling doing? (1 Viewer)

Ramira

United Kingdom
Ive been a good food source for starlings and their babies round here where i live and they would bring their babies to feed them on my balcony.
Anyways they still come!more of them ๐Ÿ˜‚ they like to just eat n hang out here on the feeder,however one of the teenagers?today stayed on my feeder for about 10 minutes singing chirping and making all kinds of sounds and whistling they do, but he/she was alone which is not unusual but at first i thought it was in distress?
It seemed fine after hanging out and flew off but im wondering what on earth was he she doing? It was making all kinds of sounds for a while?!! Thats never happened on my balcony before and im still learning! Thank you if you read this far x

I think it was practising its song or maybe just having fun. I don't think even scientists know for sure why exactly some birds sing out of season. Anyway, Starlings can actually sing all year round, even in winter.

Attached is a guide showing different plumages of Starlings; it appears a bit technical, but, thanks to it, you can--for example--know whether a certain garden visitor is male or female.

Attachments

• 15820_Sturnus_vulgaris_E.pdf
    10.8 MB · Views: 4
I think it was practising its song or maybe just having fun. I don't think even scientists know for sure why exactly some birds sing out of season. Anyway, Starlings can actually sing all year round, even in winter.

Attached is a guide showing different plumages of Starlings; it appears a bit technical, but, thanks to it, you can--for example--know whether a certain garden visitor is male or female.
Ahh ok! That's so cool lol thank you so much for your reply i was very curious:)

It's going to be a tough read and a gobbledygooky text, not least because I edited it; anyway, here are the things I've been able to find out about the development of birdsong plus some links:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back