• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Wheatear do I have here? Persian or Desert? Location: Solan District, Himachal Pradesh, India (1 Viewer)

VS97

Australia
I originally believed this was a Female Desert but now I'm having doubts given the habitat the bird was found in. The area of capture was in a glen in a mountainous region. However it might also be the wintering range of the Desert Wheatear. Both species are known in and around the area I believe. I only got this angle unfortunately.
Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSCF6997-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    DSCF6997-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 99
It's a Persian wheatear; you can see the rufous tail sides.
The grey neck patch (like a garden warbler) is also typical, and desert wheatear would show very pale sandy lesser coverts (i.e. I don't see a "warm toned, pale shoulder" here).
thanks for the detailed response. I'm happy to go with Persian now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back