• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whats happening to the tree"s? (1 Viewer)

Steve Napier

Hi.
Ive noticed just recently that ALL the sycamore tree"s here in Newcastle are absolutely covered in what looks like "white chicken-pox"on the bark and branches, I pressume its some type of fungus,its not just the sycamore tree"s either,although they seem the worst affected.
Can anyone give me a definative answer as to what it is and,will this kill the effected tree"s off?
Thankyou
Steve.

Steve Napier said:
ALL the sycamore tree"s here in Newcastle are absolutely covered in what looks like "white chicken-pox"on the bark and branches

Sounds like cottony cushion scale, not a fungus but a type of scale insect. I've seen quite a bit this year: I guess they like the weather we've been having. A heavy infestation will weaken the tree and could theoretically kill it, but it's unlikely. However, if you get them on your fruit trees then you could lose some or all of your crop.

stevo2 said:
Sounds like cottony cushion scale, not a fungus but a type of scale insect. I've seen quite a bit this year: I guess they like the weather we've been having. A heavy infestation will weaken the tree and could theoretically kill it, but it's unlikely. However, if you get them on your fruit trees then you could lose some or all of your crop.

agree, some kinda scale insect.
seen "it" this year in Sunderland City centre & Durham City, but not in rural areas.
SteveE

Thanks lads.
Yes,it does look like cotton,with a brown disc on top {similiar to the eye you get on willicks}.
Some of the trees Ive seen are so heavily affected,you cant see the bark.Very worrying.
Thankyou,
Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back