• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When are Screech Owls not home? (1 Viewer)

MrCloud9guy

United States
After having a nesting box mounted in a tree for two years, Eastern Screech Owls finally moved in! This is now season two for the owls and they are back. I'm sitting out on the deck listening to them now as I type. The problem is that the support that kept the box level fell sometime during the winter. The owls moved in anyway lol. My question is what would be the best time to reinstall the support, as I don't want to disturb a sleeping owl. Are they in/using the box year round or is there a time of year when they're gone?

Hi MrCloudGuy and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Sorry, I can't really answer your question, but as you said "they are back" I presume you haven't seen them through the winter? Do you hear them calling in the winter time at all?

If they are around in the winter-time they may use the box for roosting in during the day, so if that is the case, the best time to work on the box would be as soon as they've left it in the evening.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back