• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When is the start of the Dragonfly season in UK ? (1 Viewer)

LCpete

Hi all, when will we start to see Dragonflies and Damselflies in the UK (I live in North wales) ?
I'm getting impatient, got really in to watching and photographing them at our local pond at the end of last summer. Am planning to look a bit further afield hoping to get a photo of a four spotted chaser amongst others.
Pete

Unfortunately the first species don't really appear until May so there is still a bit of a wait unfortunately. It doesn't really get into full swing until late may / early june.

LCpete said:
Hi all, when will we start to see Dragonflies and Damselflies in the UK (I live in North wales) ?
I'm getting impatient, got really in to watching and photographing them at our local pond at the end of last summer. Am planning to look a bit further afield hoping to get a photo of a four spotted chaser amongst others.
Pete

By experience some parts of North Wales do seem to be a week or two ahead of many parts of the UK especially around Llandudno and Conwy, I am not so sure of suitable Dragonfly and Damselfly locations but it will certainly be worth keeping a lookout from Mid April.

Cheers

SW

LCpete said:
Pete

It can vary depending on where you live and what the winter and spring weather is like. A decade or more ago I would have said probably not before May in most of Britain, however, during the past ten years, the winters have been much milder and earlier emergences have taken place.

I've had occasional records of Large Red and Blue-tailed Damselflies in late March, but no large numbers of them until the middle of April, in some years.

Weather changes which are hardly noticeable to us, are noted by insects, a lot of last years records for example were definately outside the parametres set out in the textbooks. This wasn't just Dragonflies, but also Butterflies and Moths.

Harry

In 2003 we saw a large red damselfly on 5th April on the marshes at Wareham in Dorset. According to my dragonfly and damsel book, they don't appear until late April, but this was on the south coast and it was a warm day.

We've been getting Large Red Damsels in the Seaton Valley (Cornwall) for the last two weeks. 12 Clouded Yellows there on Good Friday :t:

Darrell

hi everyone its started up here too just seen and photo'd a large red damselfly in our garden
I have been going to the local pond for a couple of weeks with no luck came back yesterday without seeing anything and sat in the garden to watch the birds and we had 2 by our pond.
Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back