• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where did all the Mallards go? (1 Viewer)

whatdouthink

I posted this on another thread but nobody replied. Maybe it was the wrong thread (although maybe nobody had any ideas about it). I am reposting it here and will delete the other if it is possible. This is the post:

A few days ago I posted a couple of questions about Mallard behavior on a thread on this site. Perhaps they were put off by my talking about them but a day or so after I posted the questions the mallards that usually cruise the canal and hang in the duck pond vanished and have not returned. I figured they were probably hanging out in the duck pond in the middle of town. Turns out they are not. Further, there are almost no ducks in the pond that only a few days ago was filled with ducks. There are usually tons of ducks on the pond, especially through the summer. There are also usually geese. The geese were there in their usually numbers. There were about 20 mallards in the larger pond area that usually has hundreds; there were essentially three small groups of ducklings with one parent each. There were 2 ducks in the smaller pond that usually has dozens. These are wildlife mallards-that fly freely in and out of the area. Yet, I've never seen them just disappear this early in the summer in one day and remain away. Is this a sign snow will start early...like August? I doubt the cause is a predator since the geese seemed to be plentiful. Any ideas what might cause nearly all the mallards to leave an area that they usually inhabit in the middle of the summer? (I have not seen any evidence someone is having a huge feast either). Would love to hear your speculations. What would cause all the mallards in an area to leave? That is what appears to have happened. Thanks!

3 pics: 1st larger pond that is usually teeming with ducks
2nd and 3rd picture: smaller pond as it used to look-it's now pretty much empty.

Attachments

• larger pond usually teeming wtih mallards-and they not on shore either.jpg
    larger pond usually teeming wtih mallards-and they not on shore either.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • another view of smaller pond with usual denisty of ducks.jpeg
    another view of smaller pond with usual denisty of ducks.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • small pond dense with mallards.jpeg
    small pond dense with mallards.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
Are they hiding while they moult into eclipse plumage?
I don't know anything about their moulting. The ones in my backyard were a mom and about 7 ducklings-born early summer. But at this time usually there'd be tons of them and loads of groups of ducklings with one mom duck guiding them along. They just all up and left. I wonder if it is weather related. If this is a sign winter will come early I really have to find that one way ticket out of upstate NY. If you find one, by the way, it's probably mine. if its from Syracuse to California it's definitely mine.

The mallards seemed like such a happy group. This pic of the mallards in the little pool was taken a day or so before they up and left. Perhaps they were offended by the size of the pool. But the pool was placed where I hoped to give them some duck food-so they could drink it down. Boy it would take more than water for me to eat similar food but then again, I'm no duck. And, there had been a nice ramp and/or diving board that was removed cause they didn't use it. (not to be insulting but America's Got Talent just didn't seem in the cards for this group of mallards who wouldn't even dive into the pool-let alone do tricks).

Attachments

• IMG_5929.jpeg
    IMG_5929.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 9.08.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 9.08.57 PM.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 3
When? Did they all leave at one time or in the course of a day or two?
Hello,

New York's Central Park has several bodies of water, including the Pool, the Jackie Onassis Reservoir and the Meer. I was told that the Pond and the Ravine still has mallards. Today, I saw some on Turtle Pond, including immature ducks. However, it has been more than a week since they left the Lake.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Wow. Is this something that happens often or did it seem odd to those familiar with the Lake? Could they simply have switched which body of water they hang at-are there now more on one of the bodies of water? I think they left here late July 13th or early july 14th-so more recently. I don't know enough about Mallard behavior to know if their migratory patterns are influenced by minor and temporary weather changes. I talked to my family and friends downstate-heard you had pretty charged storm today but seems unlikely they'd flee a week earlier to avoid that. Odd!

The Mallard #s have been on the decline in that flyway and because their existence is mostly tied to nesting sites your issue is most likely they are choosing a elsewhere decision on either environmental issues and that would cover everything from noise pollution to water condition issues or a change in habitat.

Thanks for your perspective.
The Mallard #s have been on the decline in that flyway and because their existence is mostly tied to nesting sites your issue is most likely they are choosing a elsewhere decision on either environmental issues and that would cover everything from noise pollution to water condition issues or a change in habitat.

Surprising they'd all up and go at one time while they were here up til about 7/14. But hey, nobody & nothing can understanding desire to choose elsewhere over rural upstate NY (Manlius & Pittsford aside) esp west of the river. I'm surprised they don't enjoy the absence of people tho.
Central NY as in Finger Lakes ?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back