• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Accipiter (01)? Iran, Khorasan-e Razavi, May 2022 (1 Viewer)

There are clear features here which may suggest goshawk - wide-looking rear body, rounded tail-corners - so, if someone is confident this is a sparrowhawk, it would be good to know the reasons for that ID.
Thank you,
I think by the keys you mentioned, it is more possible to be a Northern Goshawk than an Eurasian Sparrowhawk.

I see no hints of any rounded tail corners and the broad rear body is the effect on fluffed up vent feathers. Comparatively narrow arm with minimally bulging secondaries, broad hand, distinct dark bands on secondaries, no obvious head projection, square ended tail all point to a straightforward nisus.

I see no hints of any rounded tail corners and the broad rear body is the effect on fluffed up vent feathers. Comparatively narrow arm with minimally bulging secondaries, broad hand, distinct dark bands on secondaries, no obvious head projection, square ended tail all point to a straightforward nisus.
Thank you for the good ID keys you explained.
As I searched more, this bird could be an adult one, cause the lines on breast are horizontal, faded and narrow.
And as you mentioned correctly, distinct dark bands on secondaries are clearly visible.
Also I found that showing the broad rear body could be a good key for Goshawks, but can't be used as a main key, cause the feather's pattern could be deceptive, in different flight modes and wind effects.
So if its an adult one showing distinct dark bands on it's secondaries, it should be a Sparrowhawk.
Note: I found what you meant by "no obvious head projection", but still working on "narrow arm with minimally bulging secondaries, broad hand" keys.

Well, it's relative. Technically, the corners are rounded; however, when seen from far away or at low resolution, the tail on this bird would still look pretty square-ended. Plus, it's quite narrow overall, which tends to indicate a smaller species (or a harrier, the latter being obviously out of the question).

Note: I found what you meant by "no obvious head projection", but still working on "narrow arm with minimally bulging secondaries, broad hand" keys.
Basically, the wings of a Goshawk tend to be more "dynamically" shaped, with the rear end of the inner wing (i.e. formed by the secondaries) protruding further back, an impression which is accentuated by the proportionally narrower "hand" (i.e. the primaries).

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back