• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which App to Control and Work With iPhone 13 Pro Max Camera? (3 Viewers)

paperweight

My digiscoping system consists of a Kowa TSN-99a and three eyepieces (TE-10 25 to 70x), TE-11 (30 to 70x), TE-80 (40x) plus two Kowa 1,6x extenders. I have kept the older TE-10 because, even if it is not as rich in contrast as the TE-11 and offers a narrower FOV, it is overall sharper. This was confirmed by a Kowa technician I phoned last week. The wide angle does have its drawbacks after all.

Since I have also got a Takahashi TOA 130 refractor plus a set of Pentax XW and Televise eyepieces (from 3,5mm to 40mm) I might get a Kowa astro adapter sooner or later to try a 7mm or 5mm Pentax XW on the 99a.
A while ago I sold my Kowa DA-4/DA-10 digiscoping adapter plus the Sony RX 100 II I had used with them and got a Smartoscope adapter for my iPhone 13 Pro Max that I prefer due to the 4k camera and the overall performance. The Smartoscope works fine and even allows me to leave my Vaja case with the lid on the iPhone. In breaks I simply flip the lid and can thus protect the phone and save power.

What I find difficult with the iPhone is that so many parameters are controlled by the internal app: the choice of one of the three lenses, autofocus, "Live" etc. I found I have to move to "Portrait" to get the tele-lens working, and if I slide on the screen in "Photo" to enlarge the picture when using the wide-angle lens, this will sometimes result in in internal switch to the tele-lens. I find this hopping of lenses not really helpful for digiscoping.
Same goes for the autofocus function which often overrules the focus I have chosen.

So I guess I will have to load an app for my iPhone that will be helpful for camera parameters, pre-shooting and post-shooting adjustments for both pictures and videos. I guess a good software will not be free, but I'm ready to invest for good results.

Can you recommend an app you are experienced and have been working with? Thanks for your help and advice.

My digiscoping system consists of a Kowa TSN-99a and three eyepieces (TE-10 25 to 70x), TE-11 (30 to 70x), TE-80 (40x) plus two Kowa 1,6x extenders. I have kept the older TE-10 because, even if it is not as rich in contrast as the TE-11 and offers a narrower FOV, it is overall sharper. This was confirmed by a Kowa technician I phoned last week. The wide angle does have its drawbacks after all.

Since I have also got a Takahashi TOA 130 refractor plus a set of Pentax XW and Televise eyepieces (from 3,5mm to 40mm) I might get a Kowa astro adapter sooner or later to try a 7mm or 5mm Pentax XW on the 99a.
A while ago I sold my Kowa DA-4/DA-10 digiscoping adapter plus the Sony RX 100 II I had used with them and got a Smartoscope adapter for my iPhone 13 Pro Max that I prefer due to the 4k camera and the overall performance. The Smartoscope works fine and even allows me to leave my Vaja case with the lid on the iPhone. In breaks I simply flip the lid and can thus protect the phone and save power.

What I find difficult with the iPhone is that so many parameters are controlled by the internal app: the choice of one of the three lenses, autofocus, "Live" etc. I found I have to move to "Portrait" to get the tele-lens working, and if I slide on the screen in "Photo" to enlarge the picture when using the wide-angle lens, this will sometimes result in in internal switch to the tele-lens. I find this hopping of lenses not really helpful for digiscoping.
Same goes for the autofocus function which often overrules the focus I have chosen.

So I guess I will have to load an app for my iPhone that will be helpful for camera parameters, pre-shooting and post-shooting adjustments for both pictures and videos. I guess a good software will not be free, but I'm ready to invest for good results.

Can you recommend an app you are experienced and have been working with? Thanks for your help and advice.
The ProCamera app works well with my 13 Pro Max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back