• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Internal-focusing Porros (Leuopold, Minox) - anyone still using them? (1 Viewer)

MiguelATF

I'm posting this simply out of curiosity. More than a decade ago, a number of smart and opinionated binoholics wrote very positively about their experiences with several porro binoculars with internal focusing - most notably the Leupold Cascades (in both 10x42 and 8x42) - and the (visually similar) Minox HD BD's (in two configurations, 10x44 and 8x44). They were all discontinued, doubtless in part because of the declining sales & profitability of porros (as opposed to roofs). I'm curious if anyone still has them and/or is still using them? And if so, your subjective impressions of how or why you like or dislike them (and use or don't use them, today).

Confession: I'm not just motivated by curiosity... I'm also looking for a 10x pair of binoculars... and am a fan (for a number of reasons) of the viewing experience I've gotten from the older porros I own, smallish but pristine Nikon 7x35's.

Hi Miguel,

To give others an idea . . .

The same binoculars were marketed under various brands, including Leupold (North America), Minox (Germany), Bynolt (Holland)
and Opticron (UK).

An image of the Bynolt (from Allbinos):
Bynolt.jpg

Details from Opticron's 2018 catalogue (when they last listed them):
Opticron 2018.jpg

And reviews of some can be found at Allbinos, see the links in post #14 at: Nikon EDG 8x42 Schmidt-Pechan prisms

John

Hi Miguel,

To give others an idea . . .

The same binoculars were marketed under various brands, including Leupold (North America), Minox (Germany), Bynolt (Holland)
and Opticron (UK).

An image of the Bynolt (from Allbinos):
View attachment 1576987

Details from Opticron's 2018 catalogue (when they last listed them):
View attachment 1576985

And reviews of some can be found at Allbinos, see the links in post #14 at: Nikon EDG 8x42 Schmidt-Pechan prisms

John
Thanks, John... this is helpful.
Also, to confess my ignorance: I'd never heard of Bynolt. I don't think they are (or have ever been) available on this side of the Atlantic.

Years ago I briefly had a pair of the opticron 8x42s. Great view but such a narrow fov meant I didn't keep them. If they had 7.5* or more fov, I probably would have kept them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back