• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which binocular has the best eyecups? (1 Viewer)

Will K

Too well-known member
United Kingdom
What bino model has your favourite eyecups?

I really love the eyecups on the Swarovski NL Pure. Six positions and a beautifully machined mechanism which just exudes quality. Some reviewers think that six is too many, or that the positions are too fiddly to equalise. As a glasses wearer, however, that doesn't bother me, but it is a shame that I don't get to use them more often!

How about you? :)

View attachment IMG-9799.mov
View attachment IMG-9801.mov

Attachments

• IMG-9802.jpg
    IMG-9802.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG-9803.jpg
    IMG-9803.jpg
    974.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG-9804.jpg
    IMG-9804.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG-9805.jpg
    IMG-9805.jpg
    992.9 KB · Views: 3
“Best” for whom?
For whomever would like to chat about it, really, and whatever criteria they bring to the table :) I appreciate that its mostly subjective, unless we can call cups objectively 'bad' for falling off easily or being too easy to move accidentally.

I'm just curious to hear other people's opinions.

My favourite:
Steiner Discovery (Peregrine XP) 8x44 & 10x44 have eyecups with integrated folding rubber side flaps.
When the eyecups are twisted up, the sideflaps can be flipped out to exclude stray light, and are a perfect fit for me. Guessing though they are worse than useless for wearers of glasses.

Some favourites of mine for eyecup comfort(and «handling feel»):

• GPO Passion HD 10 x 42
  • Zeiss Victory FL 8 x 56
  • Leica Trinovid BA 8 x 42
  • Nikon Monarch HG 8 x 42

My preferred binocular for viewing things at long distance with maximum detail and clarity, the Canon 10 x 42 L IS, sadly comes woefully short of the abovementioned reg. eyecups.

Merry Christmas to the Birdforum community :)

Canon 8x32WP for me. Love those soft long rubber eye cups. I never tried to fold them down however as I am afraid I might damage them. I think this model is almost 20 years old. One of my favourites. Very sharp, flat field and some of the best AR-coatings I have seen on any bino so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back