• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which birds can I attract (1 Viewer)

paulboyowhite

bird numpty
I live right next to a park in the Stockton area.
The regulars I get are as follows
Robins,Starlings,House sparrows,Blackbirds and Magpies.
I also usually get in smaller numbers a pair of Collared Doves and a pair of Wood Pigeons.
The newest additions have been a pair of Goldfinches and up to now a single Bullfinch.

Are there any others I should be trying to attract into the garden.
I am putting out regular Sunflower hearts hoping to get Greenfinch but alas nothing as yet .

Where we are, sunflower hearts (in a tube feeder) seem to be the favourite, coal blue great + long tailed tits; chaffinch gold + green finches all love them. Never had much success with nijer or fat balls. Buggy nibbles in a mesh feeder also go down well here. I also put seed mix + peanuts on the bird table for t'other birds. Water also is much appreciated!

What's the area like for trees? We get hardly any birds in our new-build garden because there are no trees in the surrounding area to provide cover for them. We get greenfinches, robins, dunnocks, blackbirds and woodpigeons regularly. I'd love to see more coming and feeding but it's probably not going to happen with the lack of trees and hedgerows around!

I am really lucky in that we have plenty of trees for the birds to live in.It sometimes has its downside when they wake during the summer at silly oclock in the morning .
I may invest in another tube feeder or swap one out from seed as I have a few seed feeders already out

Don't forget clean water all the year (on the ground) for birds and hedgehogs.
Fat balls or home made fat and seed mix will help especially in the winter, and you may attract flocks of long tailed tits.
Mealworms or dried mealworms are loved by just about everyone!
Have a feeder with mixed seed in too, and any that is spilled will be eaten by ground feeders esp dunnocks and blackbirds.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back