• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Cormorant? Iran, Hormozgan, Sep. 2023 (1 Viewer)

Pedrambirder

Iran
Hi all,
The one in the back is probably a Socotra Cormorant, but what about the other one? it looks smaller, something like a Little Black Cormorant !
What's your idea?
(The picture is taken from my camera's lcd, as it might be important to be identified faster).

Attachments

• IMG_20230930_203622.jpg
    IMG_20230930_203622.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 28
I think I've figure out the confusion- I believe you have two socotra cormorants- bills are two long and slim for any of the other rarer cormorants. Also the facial markings on a socotra are quite unique and are not shown in the little black cormorant. The back cormorants gulag pouch is extended plus the fact that its a immature make it seem as if the bill is much longer then the bill of the bird in front- possibly the angle in which the birds are facing are also causing this effect. Could be wrong but this is just my analysis.

Last edited:
I think I've figure out the confusion- I believe you have two socotra cormorants- bills are two long and slim for any of the other rarer cormorants. Also the facial markings on a socotra are quite unique and are not shown in the little black cormorant. The back cormorants gulag pouch is extended plus the fact that its a juvenile make it seem as if the bill is much longer then the bill of the bird in front- possibly the angle in which the birds are facing are also causing this effect. Could be wrong but this is just my analysis.
Thank you for explaining the details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back