• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which open source software to compute taxonomic distance from open source data (1 Viewer)

kweetal

Netherlands
I wonder if someone can help me with $subject ; I've never done such work although I'm a biologist and programmer. I'd like to know what software, preferably open source, is used to taxonomically rank DNA/Protein sequences. Ideally commandline building blocks (for making a pipeline). I've worked with GenBank and UniProt data before but mostly to provide annotation to experimental data. Perhaps there are review papers that I could look at? Or point me at papers where results really are repeatable from the supplementary data/info ? - thanks

Last edited:
I wonder if someone can help me with $subject ; I've never done such work although I'm a biologist and programmer. I'd like to know what software, preferably open source, is used to taxonomically rank DNA/Protein sequences. Ideally commandline building blocks (for making a pipeline). I've worked with GenBank and UniProt data before but mostly to provide annotation to experimental data. Perhaps there are review papers that I could look at? Or point me at papers where results really are repeatable from the supplementary data/info ? - thanks
I can give a general answer: more specific requires better understanding what "taxonomically rank" means in this context (+ research by me).

These days R libraries are probably the go-to here, unless you're talking about phylogenetic reconstruction under some complex model. For the latter, you'd turn to custom software, perhaps closed source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back