• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which species of bird have you seen on multiple occasions in the U.K but never heard (1 Viewer)

Andy Lakin

Two that I would love to hear are Short Eared Owl and Great Grey Shrike are a couple that stand out. Which raptors call only very rarely? I can't remember ever hearing Goshawk or Honey Buzzard before either.

Good idea for a thread. When some of these normally silent things give themselves up it can be a great experience. The first time I heard Great Northern Divers giving their haunting yodels was at Portland Harbour where I was watching Brunnich's Guillemot (which didn't call) and their calls ran it a close second!

I've heard Great Grey Shrike singing once at Stodmarsh in early spring many years ago (it's not an impressive song!)

I don't think I've ever heard a Rough-legged Buzzard call?

John

A bird I’ve heard “singing” just the once and it blew me away!….Dipper!, to my ear…running Nightingale a close 2nd! 😮
Oh yeah!…back to topic…never heard Mute Swan.😮

Two that I would love to hear are Short Eared Owl and Great Grey Shrike are a couple that stand out. Which raptors call only very rarely? I can't remember ever hearing Goshawk or Honey Buzzard before either.

My first sighting of a Goshawk was a calling one in the New Forest. I thought it was a Buzzard based on the size. I only realised it was a Goshawk a month or so after when I watched a video of a calling bird.

In Kent I saw 11 Black Winged Stilts at Cliffe Pools but never heard them call. It is the only time I have seen this bird in the UK and I have heard them abroad.
I have seen 2 Long Billed Dowitchers and never heard them call.

Little Gull - seen them plenty of times but never heard. Very rarely had them close both inland and at sea - that helps!
Never heard Jack Snipe - probably seen a maximum of 6 confirmed birds.
Woodcock - only heard when flying off.

A bird I’ve heard “singing” just the once and it blew me away!….Dipper!, to my ear…running Nightingale a close 2nd! 😮
Oh yeah!…back to topic…never heard Mute Swan.😮

You must have heard them hiss in the breeding season?

In Kent I saw 11 Black Winged Stilts at Cliffe Pools but never heard them call. It is the only time I have seen this bird in the UK and I have heard them abroad.
I have seen 2 Long Billed Dowitchers and never heard them call.

Little Gull - seen them plenty of times but never heard. Very rarely had them close both inland and at sea - that helps!
Never heard Jack Snipe - probably seen a maximum of 6 confirmed birds.
Woodcock - only heard when flying off.
Woodcock produce a characteristic "mip!" repeated at intervals of a number of seconds when roding in Spring, usually at dusk, heard it many times from local to Highland.

The Hamble river Long-billed Dowitcher of distant memory would often call when flying in - a useful cue.

John

Woodcock produce a characteristic "mip!" repeated at intervals of a number of seconds when roding in Spring, usually at dusk, heard it many times from local to Highland.

The Hamble river Long-billed Dowitcher of distant memory would often call when flying in - a useful cue.

John

Never seen Woodcock from March to October sadly.

Never seen Woodcock from March to October sadly.
Seeing (and hearing) a Roding woodcock at dusk should definitely be on your priority to-do list!

One species I've seen outside the breeding season but would love to hear are storm petrels - need a trip to Mousa one day...

My first UK honey buzzard was calling - it sounded strangely familiar, then I realised they've been compared to the call of a grey plover.

Thought-provoking thread. There are some pretty common birds I can't recall ever hearing call. Shag and Pochard spring to mind, and certainly things like Red-breasted Merganser. What do Pintail sound like? I haven't a clue 🤔. Whereas Goshawk (mentioned earlier) can sometimes be easier to hear than see. I hear Mute Swan quite a lot, but we do have a few on our local lake.

Seeing (and hearing) a Roding woodcock at dusk should definitely be on your priority to-do list!

One species I've seen outside the breeding season but would love to hear are storm petrels - need a trip to Mousa one day...

My first UK honey buzzard was calling - it sounded strangely familiar, then I realised they've been compared to the call of a grey plover.

I will try one day. Sadly they have disappeared from most local woods.

Thought-provoking thread. There are some pretty common birds I can't recall ever hearing call. Shag and Pochard spring to mind, and certainly things like Red-breasted Merganser. What do Pintail sound like? I haven't a clue 🤔. Whereas Goshawk (mentioned earlier) can sometimes be easier to hear than see. I hear Mute Swan quite a lot, but we do have a few on our local lake.
I've seen displaying Red-breasted Merganser, but didn't hear it!
Pintail sounds a bit like a very low-voiced Teal. There are ducks that I cannot remember hearing (e.g. Red-crested Pochard, scoters). I also haven't heard Slavonian Grebe or Short-eared Owl.

I've thinking about this for a while and keep coming up with different examples.
Things I have seen regularly in the autumn (so wouldn't expect to hear, I guess)

Red-throated Pipit
Olive-backed Pipit
Rose-coloured Starling
Wryneck
Short-toed Lark
Jack Snipe

there must be more, I’m sure

I've thinking about this for a while and keep coming up with different examples.
Things I have seen regularly in the autumn (so wouldn't expect to hear, I guess)

Red-throated Pipit
Olive-backed Pipit
Rose-coloured Starling
Wryneck
Short-toed Lark
Jack Snipe

Bullfinch - only heard one actually sing once , I think.
Hawfinch - never heard the song, though it’s not a bird I usually see more than once a year mostly in winter.

As Xenospiza said there a quite a few species of duck that don't call very frequently at all. I don't think I've ever heard a Barn Owl call. Rose Coloured Starling is a good shout as well as they aren't mega rare but I've never heard one call.

Red-throated Pipit
Olive-backed Pipit
Rose-coloured Starling
Wryneck
Short-toed Lark
Jack Snipe

The two pipits call regularly in flight in autumn.

John

Same here , Mike. I’d interpreted it as singing too, as opposed to calling.
I think that's unduly restrictive, though I agree hearing unexpected songs is great: learning calls (and perhaps especially flight calls) of progressively scarcer species is one of the most useful field skills for a birder.

I've been out on the Insh Marshes at midnight late spring a few times to listen for Spotted Crakes "singing" and heard them on a couple of occasions, but the variety of calls and songs about which I've absolutely no idea - but which are presumably familiar birds - that I've heard on those occasions was utterly astonishing.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back