• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White tailed eagle, Wales (1 Viewer)

Hi, I live in Caerdigion Wales and we have very, very common sitings of Red Kites, Buzzards, Goshawks,Sparrow hawks and herons. This morning I watched a huge (twice the size of a red kite) brown with up curled fingers on its wings land in the trees at the bottom of my paddock. When I say huge it looked like a hang glider coming in. I was not alone as my wife saw it to. Could it be a White Tailed eagle as, as the crow flies we are not that far from southern Ireland. If not are there any suggestions

It is possible, young birds wander long distances.
Who would have predicted a Lammergeier in the Peak District last year. Do you have any further description, general colour, size and shape of bill etc

Hi Barry and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

It is possible, young birds wander long distances.
Who would have predicted a Lammergeier in the Peak District last year. Do you have any further description, general colour, size and shape of bill etc
Hi, it was generaly brown with a slightly lighter body, its wings appeared to have much to wider wingspan and the body hung below them, much bigger than a kite or buzzard at least twice the size. We only saw it for about two minutes at about a 100 mtrs most of which it was flying so I can tell you know more other than it was avery majestic sight.

Hi, it was generaly brown with a slightly lighter body, its wings appeared to have much to wider wingspan and the body hung below them, much bigger than a kite or buzzard at least twice the size. We only saw it for about two minutes at about a 100 mtrs most of which it was flying so I can tell you know more other than it was avery majestic sight.
Hi
Whilst it is unlikely to be a WTE, like I said before it could be possible, those from the Isle of Wight have been seen in Yorkshire. However from your description it is not possible to confirm I would say. The
big difference with eagles from buzzards and kites that I find is the slower wing beat above all else. WTE wings are very long and wide with the long fingers that you have mentioned. I would say that if it is a WTE then it is a good bet that someone else will see it which would help confirm your sighting.

I'd agree with Parryman that we can't say one way or the other but just in case - whereabouts in Ceredigion? There's some very keen birders who might be very local to it.. :)

I'd agree with Parryman that we can't say one way or the other but just in case - whereabouts in Ceredigion? There's some very keen birders who might be very local to it.. :)
Spotted in Pontsian near Llandysul. Gliding in to perch in trees above the river then flying off in a NE direction. I have heard on TV that there is a golden eagle in Tregaron about 20 miles away, but it diddnt seem to fit what I and my wife saw. I would say that we are very used to watching buzzards and kites at this distance and it was definately not one of them.

Hi, I live in Caerdigion Wales and we have very, very common sitings of Red Kites, Buzzards, Goshawks,Sparrow hawks and herons. This morning I watched a huge (twice the size of a red kite) brown with up curled fingers on its wings land in the trees at the bottom of my paddock. When I say huge it looked like a hang glider coming in. I was not alone as my wife saw it to. Could it be a White Tailed eagle as, as the crow flies we are not that far from southern Ireland. If not are there any suggestions
Hi, I live in Penrhiwllan about six miles from you. Last Saturday, 22 April, I spotted a very large bird of prey flying over our small farm. I immediately thought Golden Eagle from previous sightings in Scotland and ran for my binoculars. Confirmed as immature as it had large white marks on the underside of its wings and was a perfect match to pictures I have of the same.

Welcome to BF.
very large bird of prey . . . I immediately thought Golden Eagle from previous sightings in Scotland . . . Confirmed as immature as it had large white marks on the underside of its wings
Hugely more likely to have been a buzzard, unfortunately (and almost as likely in Scotland). Judging the size of a lone bird is notoriously unreliable.

Hi, I live in Penrhiwllan about six miles from you. Last Saturday, 22 April, I spotted a very large bird of prey flying over our small farm. I immediately thought Golden Eagle from previous sightings in Scotland and ran for my binoculars. Confirmed as immature as it had large white marks on the underside of its wings and was a perfect match to pictures I have of the same.
Hello. My wife and I watched (with amazement) 2 pairs of juvenile Golden Eagles last summer flying at various heights above Abersoch. I’ve been fortunate to see a Golden Eagle before at close quarters (the rather sad and now presumed deceased Lake District male). They have a very distinctive way of dropping height with their wings slightly folded in, and also the distinctive white eyes under their wings. I think that these 2 pairs might have been individuals wandering south from the Moffat population. The weather was fine and settled at the time so presumably it would have been easy for them to use thermals to cover large distances. That said it’s only a short distance to the Isle of Man and then only a further shortish distance down to the Llyn peninsula.

Hello. My wife and I watched (with amazement) 2 pairs of juvenile Golden Eagles last summer flying at various heights above Abersoch. I’ve been fortunate to see a Golden Eagle before at close quarters (the rather sad and now presumed deceased Lake District male). They have a very distinctive way of dropping height with their wings slightly folded in, and also the distinctive white eyes under their wings. I think that these 2 pairs might have been individuals wandering south from the Moffat population. The weather was fine and settled at the time so presumably it would have been easy for them to use thermals to cover large distances. That said it’s only a short distance to the Isle of Man and then only a further shortish distance down to the Llyn peninsula.

Just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome from those of us on BirdForum ;)

There were 3 WTE flying around the Sirhowy valley ( South Wales) 4 years ago but vanished due to a bad wildfire started by two bored teenagers, apparently one died in the fire. Haven't seen them since alas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back