• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White yes white Starling ... (1 Viewer)

F1F3R

United Kingdom
i was at my freinds house yesterday and was looking out the kitchen window ,
when a group off starlings landed on a neighbours roof.

to my total amazement i seen a starling that was completely white/ish in colour.

yes it was a starling ... and it was in the group . ( dosnet looked harmed in any way .)

i have never seen this before. :eek!:
ive only seen a few crows etc with few white feathers on wings but nothing like this.

i will try my best too get a picture off it too post on here hopefully soon.

PS
happy new year too all , this is my first chance off getting back on the forum .

Hi Andy and Happy New Year to you too. Good to see you back.

Looking forward to seeing the picture too

D

F1F3R said:
i was at my freinds house yesterday and was looking out the kitchen window ,
when a group off starlings landed on a neighbours roof.

to my total amazement i seen a starling that was completely white/ish in colour.

yes it was a starling ... and it was in the group . ( dosnet looked harmed in any way .)

i have never seen this before. :eek!:
ive only seen a few crows etc with few white feathers on wings but nothing like this.

i will try my best too get a picture off it too post on here hopefully soon.

PS
happy new year too all , this is my first chance off getting back on the forum .

I've never seen one either, not sure how common this leucism is in Starlings. Just to be sure, it was completely white, right, not just all washed out like this one: http://www.orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?p=2&action=searchresult&Bird_ID=2527

i will try get some pictures soon.

with reference too that picture... the bird was alot lighter all over , not just body, wings,all over was all same colour .

colour is a slightly dirty white colour... but white all the same.

i cant wait too get a picture off it.

looks totally out off place with other starlings ... brilliant.

Hello F1f3r,

I came across a pure white starling with a yellow bill in Derbyshire once. It kind of looked like a tiny Cattle Egret as it walked around in a field. It too was with other normal looking starlings. Amazing looking bird.

That's funny, we were looking at a flock of starlings in Elliot Lake Ontario and we noticed one had a completely white tail, maybe they were related.
Rhonda

I used to see a partially white Starling in Manhatten Beach, CA.

It used to hang out around a Baja Fresh (mexican fast food resturant).

Unfortunately the times I saw it I never had my camera with me. I was always there to pick-up food.

I would loved to have gotten a picture of it.

Valley Boy and myself saw a white swallow back in October last year. We weren't sure of it's id at first, seeing a white version really throws you if there are possible confusion species. At the time we thought Swallow, no House Martin, no Sand Martin, no it's a Swallow.

There was at least one (possibly two) white starlings in the roost at westhay a year or so ago! So they do exist, but one or two in 3 million suggests that they are fairly rare birds!!!!!!

Nick

I saw a white one at Capel Fleet about a year ago. His 'pals' didn't seem to want to be too close to him and always left gaps between them and him on the wires where they were perching. There was at least one merlin in the area so I don't suppose he would have lasted too long.

Woody

Jeff hopkins said:
We had an all white starling on our Christmas count in 2005. It stuck around for a few weeks.

We saw this lovely creature in South Kessock near Inverness in June 2005. A local we spoke to said they'd seen a white starling in 2004 as well - whether this was the same bird or a descendent/sibling I've no idea.

I think this link will take to to the page that has 5 photos of the bird ...

http://avengerpenguins.co.uk/v-web/gallery/UKBirds

if not, either find page 28 in the gallery or try this

http://avengerpenguins.co.uk/v-web/gallery/UKBirds/Starling_albino2 .

When we saw the bird flying in we got quite excited, as you might imagine. I've seen one or two Starlings over the years but never one like this.

As I feared, the first link takes you to page one of the gallery, at least 6 clicks from the starling. The second gets you there, though.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back