• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whitford Point N Gower (1 Viewer)

WelshFalcon

Whitford Point – N Gower

Best visited in Winter, for it’s variety of wintering waders, geese, ducks, grebes and divers.

Park at Cwm Ivy and walk down onto the reserve. Its about a ¾ of an hour walk out to the hide, and best to arrive at the hide an hour before high tide.

From the hide, all 3 divers can sometimes be seen. Slavonian, red-necked and black necked grebes winter here. Eider and scaup are regular. Red breasted merganser are often seen. Large numbers of brent geese feed in front of the hide. Waders include dunlin, curlew, redshank, grey plover, golden plover, turnstone and thousands upon thousands of oystercatcher.

Peregrine often sits on the beach near the hide, and merlin and hen harrier are seen often.

This winters’ highlight has been the shorelark which gives good views from the hide and most often seen on shingle banks a couple of hundred yards North of the hide. (First shorelark for Glamorgan for over 30 years I believe)

The conifers have crossbill, as well as goldcrest, occasional firecrest and flocks of wintering finches are common. Linnets, goldfinches in particular.

Best not to go if there is a strong easterly wind, as this blows sand straight into your face as you look out of the hide. Not good for the eyes or the optics!

Was at Whiteford Point today 27/7/07.

Saw 6 buzzards, one peregrine and 2 hobby's all on the way to the hide. Super place for birding!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Can I presume you are very local to Whitford? What about the Southern side of Gower. A couple of years back we stopped off at a spot not far from Rhossilli, Mewslade bay, but sat on some rocks looking about and found a Peregrine about 100 mtrs away also surveying the scene. Lots of passerines in the little valley down to the beach but no choughs that I had hoped to see.

As an occasional visitor to Gower your reports are useful. Keep it up, eventually the thread will start to look like the Seaton one.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I live about 15 mins from Whiteford, but Wednesday was the 1st day birding there!

I have to admit I thought the place was superb, not just the views from the hide, but what you see on the nice walk to it.

Good idea about keeping people posted, I am going to have a look there tomorrow (sat) so hopefully I will have some news for everyone.

Rob

Saturday 28th July,

Probably not the best day as the tide was a long way out!

However...

from the hide

Egrets x 3
heron x 2
great black backed gulls
herring gulls
canada geese
pied wagtail
goldcrest
numerous pipits.

a few buzzards were seen on the walk through the conifers and a merlin was seen near Cwm Ivy woods.

Envy you folks living so close to Whitford. We come up not often enough from Carms. My last most vivid momory was of flocks of Eider duck in January.
One of my favourite places.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back