• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who Defines the Scientific Names? (1 Viewer)

I believe that the center goverment don't have the demand to choose national bird, so does national flower.
Thanks for the thinking. I really think so now. Otherwise, the national bird and flower should have been announced before a long time.

Besides Cranes, many bird can be national bird, for example, Golden Pheasant, Paradise-flycatcher and Magpie. They all very important in our culture and may more common in paintings in Summer Palace and many other old buildings.
It's great. Do you have any paintings share to me? I really love our traditional painting, Gongbi, which is so amazing.

I agree with Tom(Dong Bei). The biggest problem now is "whether these species also exist when people want to choose them".
Of course I agree with this. But it's not related to this topic and that's why I stressed some friends didn't get my point. Let me make a complement:
*. There's hostile history between China and Japan. But it's not related to this topic.
*. I agree that the protection of birds and habitats are much more important than their names. But it's not related to this topic in fact. I also believe the discussion doesn't impact your actions of the protection.

Last edited:
This thread seems to be turning into a beast - I'd like to suggest classifying it with a latin name - maybe a suitable title -
Bullonius adinfinitii

Sorry I couldn't resist that one - moderators please punish me

Last edited:
I am only guessing, but I think that many of the scientific names were probably assigned by Europeans who 'discovered' the animals. If the first red-crowned crane seen by a western biologist was in Japan he might well have called it japonensis. He might just as easily have called it victoriensis after the queen of England - the convention is that the person who first describes a species 'for science' gets to choose the name. I am sure that there are hundreds of inappropriate names of animals (and other orders, too). It should not be taken too seriously - stick to Angel Crane if you want.

I believe you are correct. I remember hearing about a naturalist that really liked David Bowie naming a new spider species he found "Genus davidbowii"

You are correct for the history. But not correct for my opinion because the history isn't related to this topic. I've told I even don't think it's good to call 'Chinese Oriole' and 'Chinese Magpie'.

OK, I apologise. I clearly misunderstood what you were saying in your first post.
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back