• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who is this? (1 Viewer)

Valone123

United States
Found this one roosting near our door. Georgia, USA. Coopers Hawk?? Any idea what it is?

Attachments

• IMG_0605.jpeg
    IMG_0605.jpeg
    771.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0606.jpeg
    IMG_0606.jpeg
    765.6 KB · Views: 59
Relatively small. Maybe 6” body. I didn’t get a good look as he flew away. The hairy body is throwing me off. Could it be a young bird?

Definitely a fledgling wren. I suggest Carolina wren - it's a little bigger than house wren, and longer-tailed. Also a very common breeder in your area, whereas in most of Georgia, you'll only see house wren in the winter.

Tail length bothered me too - I know fledglings of many species are practically tailless. But OP described the bird as "hairy" and I think the photo is consistent with that, i.e., there are bits of nestling down visible.

Roosting (adult) wrens look pretty fluffy - so I can't see any particular reason to think this isn't one. It's certainly not a fledgling (tail), which makes it either full-grown juvenile or adult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back