• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why don birds not like walnuts in homemade suet? (1 Viewer)

Why don't the birds like my homemade suet?

I'm starting to think my birds don't like my cooking! :eek!:

I made suet cakes for them a week ago, but they haven't touched them. Here's what I used:

peanut butter
Crisco shortening (Could that be it? The store I went to didn't have lard.)
cornmeal
raisins
chopped walnuts
Some cayenne pepper flakes to keep the squirrels out.

I have two feeders hung in the yard. One in the front yard on a cherry tree where I also have a couple of other seed feeders. The other is in the back yard near some giant fir trees.

Thanks,
CindyB

Last edited:
Just after I posted that, I had a bird on the suet feeder out front. I had lowered it a bit so that it hung farther down from the branches. Maybe that did the trick?

Waiting for more... :t:

CindyB

The suet eaters in my yard don't eat anything but suet. They throw the add-ins on the ground. I put out plain ole fat/suet, no add-ins.

When you say peanut butter flavored suet, do you mean the cakes from the store?? I got one as a gift once, put it out, and it was gone the next day. I figured the starlings or crows at it, but if you say it goes over real well, then I may get some again.

I did infact build one of those upside-down suet holders, and it does work. I don't have too much trouble with starlings. I see them in spring picking through the lawn, which is ok. Funny thing is, in winter, I never see them, unless I have accessable suet, then some how they magically show up. But, not since my upside-down suet holder. I'll have to give the peanut butter cakes a go again.

I soften lard in a pan, mix in crushed peanuts,brown bread crumbs, peanut butter, grated cheese,raisins/sultanas , mixed seed or sunflower seeds. then I roll them into balls to make fat balls (then set in fridge, or if making fat cakes I pour into a container set in fridge.

Birds love it ten times more than shop-bought fat cakes.
blue tits, coal tits, song thrushes, blackbirds,starlings and robins love it in my garden.

Suet Feeder

My Birds go mad after the suet feeders that i put out for them,I make mine a bit on the large side it lasts about 6 weeks

Attachments

• Large Nutty Feeding.JPG
    Large Nutty Feeding.JPG
    229.3 KB · Views: 66
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back