• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (9 Viewers)

Still c. 40 Waxwing at N. Deeside Rd., Cults. Pic attached. Also at one point several thrushes joined them, and then a 40 strong Tit flock, with Long-tailed, Blue, Coal and possibly a Goldcrest. That flock crossed the road towards the Dee.

Attachments

• 2023-11-16 Wxwings, N. Deeside Road.JPG
    2023-11-16 Wxwings, N. Deeside Road.JPG
    10.8 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Well, few Waxwings at first at N. Deeside Rd. but eventually about 60 were present again after flying in from behind me. They are quite mobile this morning. Difficult to say whether these are all the original birds or fresh recruits, which might affect estimated numbers over the whole of Scotland..

I had a couple of hours spare to myself on Saturday,so I headed up to the Ythan at Newburgh on the bus In the morning.
Plenty of Pink footed Geese flying overhead and 3 Whooper Swans (2 adults,1 juvenile) also flew over.Some Sanderling and Bar tailed Godwits were feeding as the tide came In,as was a single Grey Plover.A flock of 100+ Knot were also flying around regularly.A single drake Long tailed Duck was near the mouth of the Ythan.
On Foveran Burn,as well as the usual Mallards,there were good numbers of Teal and a few Wigeon scattered around.Also here I connected with 3 Common Snipe and 2 Little Egrets.All In all,a pleasant couple of hours.
Yesterday morning,I spent a couple hours at the Kings Links Golf Course,hoping for one or two Short eared Owls but none showed up,while I was there. :confused:

Still a small rump of Waxwing at N.Deeside Road, Cults. Yesterday about 10ish. Less today. Redwing have increased but move around between various clumps of trees along the road, up to 40 or so in smallish flocks per day. Fieldfares still relatively low in numbers here, max 6-7 per day. Quite a few Blackbirds, very skittish and jumpy in behaviour. 6 Magpie being chased off by resident Hoodie/Carrion hybrid and its Carrion Mate. Herring Gulls, once very numerous are few in number at the moment. Very little flying high in this weather.

Last edited:
I have an affinity with the River Ythan and If the opportunity arises,I head up there every now and then.I first visited the area as a teenager In the 1970s,fell for the place and spent time on the Sands of Forvie Reserve In the 1980s (and St Cyrus NNR) as a Voluntary Warden,under the Stewardship of the late Bob Davis and Abby Paterson.
Anyway,enough of the "This Is Your Life" stuff and onto Saturday morning.I arrived at sunrise and headed to the mouth of the Ythan.In amongst the Grey Seal haul out area,were 8 Sanderling being their usual busy selves.On the water,were the usual Eider,4 Red breasted Merganser and a single Long tailed Duck.
The tide was out but I still managed decent views of 7 feeding Bar tailed Godwits and the usual Oyster Catchers,Grey Herons,Turnstones and Redshanks.Some with yellow survey flags on their legs.
At the mouth of Foveran Burn,there were plenty of Knot and Golden Plover feeding,as well as the usual Mallard,Teal and Wigeon.
On Foveran Burn Itself,were 2 Little Grebes,a single Little Egret and one of my favourites,a Kingfisher.A party of 5 Whooper Swans flew over.
As I headed back to Aberdeen,I thought It would be rude to go down King Street and not stop In past the Kings Links Golf Course,which I did and In my short time there,seen at least 4 different Short eared Owls.
I walked In sub zero temperatures but the variety of birds and the scenery,was more than enough to warm my heart.

Today a group of us from the Aberdeen RSPB members group attempted a winter big day. 4 of us did a summer version in June, seeing 102 species so we were interested to see how we’d go with the reduced daylight.

We started before dawn at Loch of Skene with the hope of seeing the Snow Goose which has been seen recently with the Pink-footed Geese. As we approached the Loch the first bird of the day was a Buzzard, with the noise of geese seemingly everywhere. As well as thousands of Pink- footed Geese we also saw Wigeon, Tufted Duck, Goldeneye, Mute Swan, Cormorant and Mallard, along with four gull species. No sign of the Snow Goose though!

We headed back through the woods, adding Goldcrest, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Chaffinch and Wren, as well as a couple of Red Kites giving great views overhead.

We detoured away from Skene through some back roads, stopping at a small wooded area where we added a lot. Brambling, Long-tailed Tit, Bullfinch, Great-spotted Woodpecker and Coal Tit were added, before Fieldfare and Pheasant were seen in the fields on the way out of the area. After a bit of shuffling of cars we had a brief visit to my house for Tree Sparrow, Goldfinch, Greenfinch and a bonus Mistle Thrush, but no House Sparrow.

Then on to the Ythan. A walk of the golf course loop from Beach Rd was very productive, with Grey Plover and Common Scoter the highlights, but hundreds of Knot and Golden Plover put on a great show. Dunlin, Sanderling, Turnstone and Bar-tailed Godwit were also spotted, as well as Red-breasted Merganser and Eider.

Near the Foveran Burn there were plenty of Wigeon and Teal, and a bonus Little Egret, and the only Meadow Pipit we saw all day.

Inches Point in Newburgh had lots of Dunlin, Redshank and a Grey Heron, and we then continued on to the Snub Car Park upstream on the Ythan. Shelduck, Greenshank, Lapwing were spotted quickly, and we were lucky when 3 Black-tailed Godwits landed on the shore below us.

We lunched at the Collieston view point where we saw Rock Pipit, Shag, quite a few Red-throated Divers, Guillemots and Razorbills. A real bonus was when 2 Ravens flew past really close overhead and we also spotted a few Porpoises offshore.

Through the back roads we added Stonechat, before a stop at Meikle Loch provided good views of Coot and Kestrel with a few unexpected Long-tailed Ducks also on the Loch. The day was drawing to a close now but we had a little time left so we headed to the Don at Diamond Bridge. The long staying Whooper Swan was ticked, as well as Moorhen and a Sparrowhawk overhead. A Stock Dove flew across the river, and a couple of Dippers were working their way along the far bank.

The final stop was the links at the Donmouth. A couple of Short-eared Owls were hunting over the long grass, giving great views, and there were also two Kestrels. We finished with coffee and cake at the beach, having failed to add House Sparrow to the day list!

We finished with 82 species for the day, which was higher than any of us thought we’d get. We were lucky with the weather, which helped, and had a few lucky spots, so overall a really good day. Thanks to Ruth, Mark and David for the company, and also to Rob for his company and for driving.

I did a quick total up, and between the two big days this year we saw 122 species - a great effort, and shows the variety of species that can be seen in Aberdeenshire.

First notable movements of Fieldfares with the snow today at Cults. Two flocks totalling about 90 birds from N south towards the Dee. Also movements of Wood Pigeon have increased over the last week or so. Flocks of up to 50 or so occasionally moving south too. Waxwings departed about two weeks ago and no sightings since. Pink-footed Geese sightings are fewer but still every few days some will pass over. One unusual sight was on a bright day last week at about 12:28 p.m. A smallish bat was circling one of the conifers and the indication was that it was finding insects judging by its behaviour. Several small flock of finches, too far away to identify and the odd Buzzard and Sparrowhawk.

I had a walk this morning on Foreign Territory.Well for a "Torry Loon" anyway..!
I started at Diamond Bridge over the River Don and the first bird I seen was a Moorhen.Not a species I have seen on the River Dee,I don't think.Looking downwater,I was soon onto the long staying Whooper Swan and a Dipper flew upstream.Whilst on the wooden boardwalk,I was taken aback by how many Magpies were around.Easily 20+ birds.While there,I had a pair of Mute Swans,a party of 10 Long tailed Tits and a stunning male Bullfinch.
Beside the Canoe area,there was a sign of early Spring,as a drake Goldeneye was trying to Impress a female,while three Mallard drakes were having an almighty scramble on the water,over an unamused looking duck !!

Whilst walking the edge of Seaton Park,I watched a pair of Mistle Thrush feeding In leaf litter until they spotted me and left with scolding calls.At the Brig o Balgownie,I had a pair of Stock Doves calling to each other,which was a new call to my ears and caused me a bit of confusion,before I noticed them.Down towards the Bridge of Don,there were more Goldeneye,Heron,5 Little Grebe and a pair of Goosander.A lovely walk,In crisp weather and a great way to start the first Saturday of the year.

An unexpected trip to Banchory,allowed a detour to the Water Treatment Works at Drumoak,In the hope of seeing the Firecrest that has been hanging around there.As I approached the Treatment Works,It was alive with birds.Scores of Goldcrest were everywhere,being their usual busy selves.A party of Long tailed Tits came and went as I watched.Joining the cast were Robin,Blue and Great Tits,Chaffinch,Wren and Dunnock.Then,It arrived right In front of me,after 15 minutes or so.The white eye stripe making It stand out from the numerous Goldcrests around me.My first Scottish Firecrest,although I have seen plenty on my holidays to Mallorca.As I made my way back to the car,a Red Kite flew overhead,to end a very enjoyable 40 minutes.

First Lesser Black-backed Gull of the spring past Deeside Care Home at N. Deeside road this morning. A pair of Oystercatchers has returned to the area kleeping vigorously in recent days, and this morning I saw a Rook carrying a leafy twig passing by. Blue Tits also nesting-place hunting round my building. This may all be a false dawn however. 300 Pinkfeet passed over south a couple of days ago, and some returned N yesterday.

It was a sunny afternoon so I made my way to Johnston Gardens, and walked 1.2 miles along the Burn (West Burn of Rubislaw?) via Walker Dam to Hazeldene Road.

I saw 25 species, including Redwing, Siskin, Bullfinch, and Treecreeper.

I'll be back

Barry

Attachments

• West Burn Walk Route_BW240220_210708_eBird.jpg
    West Burn Walk Route_BW240220_210708_eBird.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • Bullfinch @ West Burn BW240220_204144.jpg
    Bullfinch @ West Burn BW240220_204144.jpg
    678.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Common Gulls have recently returned to Cults ( c. 5 days or so) and are being very noisy, and are moving about a bit. I was grateful for them last year as they frequently alerted me to the passing-over of Raptors, most of which were hounded out of their space, with the understandable exception of Peregrine with which even Herring Gulls won't tangle. Buzzards got regular drubbing. Also I rather like Common Gulls for being quite attractive in breeding plumage anyway.

Common Gulls have recently returned to Cults ( c. 5 days or so) and are being very noisy, and are moving about a bit. I was grateful for them last year as they frequently alerted me to the passing-over of Raptors, most of which were hounded out of their space, with the understandable exception of Peregrine with which even Herring Gulls won't tangle. Buzzards got regular drubbing. Also I rather like Common Gulls for being quite attractive in breeding plumage anyway.
They are beautiful birds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back