• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Will a blue tit nest where it sleeps? (1 Viewer)

Onlyhuman

Blue tits constantly visit my feeder and have slept in my nestbox in recent years, but they have always nested elsewhere, often in a nestbox in the neighbour's garden.

I'd love to have them raise a brood in my garden, is there any chance they might nest in the box one is currently sleeping in? Or do they tend to nest where they don't sleep?

I was hoping sopmebody was going to answer this. A couple of years ago I replaced a well used but aged box. Nothing for two breeding seasons but at last one roosting in there. I will be interested to see if it nests - I certainly hope so.

Most winters we have a tit roosting in our nest box with a camera though not this winter. We've had a camera monitored box since 2003/4.

Some years it's a Great Tit and other years it's a Blue Tit. We've only ever had Blue Tits nesting in the box. When a Great Tit roosts over winter it leaves the box altogether late March and it's not until the first week of April that the Blue Tit begins inspection/nest building.

It's possible they may return to nest there but our limited experience is that winter roosting in a box isn't related to nesting in the Spring.

Have to agree with IanF I have 6 nesr boxes in place for several years and many are used for winter roosting but not reused for nesting and breeding in spring.

This is just my second year of camera boxing, last year, there were visits to the box from end of January onwards then they stated building 30/3 then after a few days started roosting.

This year on 2nd of Jan a blue tit started roosting. I was assuming it was the same bird and expected it to raise a brood but I didn't know that they could roost but not breed there.

There is also no way of knowing if it is the same bird, however it was a pair that checked out the box before the female started roosting so I'm hopeful.

She should be popping in around now,
mary

This is just my second year of camera boxing, last year, there were visits to the box from end of January onwards then they stated building 30/3 then after a few days started roosting.

This year on 2nd of Jan a blue tit started roosting. I was assuming it was the same bird and expected it to raise a brood but I didn't know that they could roost but not breed there.

There is also no way of knowing if it is the same bird, however it was a pair that checked out the box before the female started roosting so I'm hopeful.

She should be popping in around now,
mary
Where can I get nest box cameras? Needs to be wireless and wifi to my phone or PC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back