• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blind blue tit chick unable to fledge (1 Viewer)

Val Garrett

United Kingdom
I have a nestbox camera. Yesterday 8 out of 9 blue tit chicks fledged. The 9th one sadly is blind and unable to find its way out of the box. The parents are still feeding it today and trying to encourage it out but it can’t find the hole. I was advised by my local wildlife rescue centre that I cannot intervene and remove the front of the nestbox to set it free and that if the parents stop feeding it, it will just have to stay in there until it dies. Is this correct? It’s heartbreaking to see. I just want to help it even though its chance of survival out of the nest is slim.IMG_5195.jpeg

This sort of thing is so hard to witness. I really feel for you.

We always want to try and help, don't we.

This sort of thing is so hard to witness. I really feel for you.

We always want to try and help, don't we.
Very hard, just knowing the poor little thing is still in there and that it’s parents are still feeding it and calling to it constantly. Quite distressing for them (and me!). Nature can be wonderful but also cruel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back