• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winter raptors in the Algarve (1 Viewer)

PennineBirder

Hi. I'm staying near Tavira in the Algarve and have been out on the salt pans today. I glimpsed what I am sure was a Hobby today but was not expecting to see this species in the winter here. Does anyone know if the Hobby occurs around Tavira at this time of year?
thanks
Peter

Hi. I'm staying near Tavira in the Algarve and have been out on the salt pans today. I glimpsed what I am sure was a Hobby today but was not expecting to see this species in the winter here. Does anyone know if the Hobby occurs around Tavira at this time of year?
thanks
Peter

Peter,
It would be highly unlikely at this time of year.
There is a Peregrine wintering in the area, only other falcons I would expect to see are Kestrel and possibly Merlin, but you never know.

Thanks for your reply. The species you mention are the ones I would expect here and am very familiar with all three but I could be getting my perspectives confused in this habitat I suppose. I'll go back tomorrow and see if it re-appears. Raptors are thin on the ground here at the present but I have been seeing a Hen Harrier at dusk and Kestrels during the day.
best
Peter

Thanks for your reply. The species you mention are the ones I would expect here and am very familiar with all three but I could be getting my perspectives confused in this habitat I suppose. I'll go back tomorrow and see if it re-appears. Raptors are thin on the ground here at the present but I have been seeing a Hen Harrier at dusk and Kestrels during the day.
best
Peter

I'm recently back from 2 weeks in the Algarve (6-21 Nov), staying at Cabanas, near Tavira, and Vilamoura.
If you're particularly interested in raptors there's been a Black-winged Kite in the saltpan/orchard area of Cabanas, near the waterworks/railway line and another at Quinto da Rocha near Alvor, plus Booted Eagle and Osprey here.

Osprey, Hen Harrier and Peregrine at Tavira/Santa Luzia saltpans.

Osprey and Marsh Harriers at Falesia Lagoon Vilamoura plus 3 Booted Eagles at the Ambiente Reserve nearby.

Marsh Harriers at Castro Marim reserve.
Several Booted Eagles wintering in the Ludo area, often seen from Ludo Saltpan and Quinta do Lago area.

Good birding

John

I was during Christmas in the region and had:
- Merlin in Marin (Ria Formosa HQ in Olhao), close to the animal recovery centre
- Booted eagle and Osprey in Ludo area
- Osprey and Marsh Harriers at Castro Marin reserve
- Quite a few kestrels a in a few different places
- Many Red Kites in Alentejo plains

Indeed there were "quite a few" Kestrels. Indeed they seemed to be everywhere over Christmas.
Red Kites as Ibaia says; and one or two Black-winged.
And we found Osprey at Faro; and Marsh Harriers almost anywhere with extensive wetland.

Just to complete the post I started. I stayed in the Tavira area throughout December and noted these raptors in my time around the Cabanas-Tavira salt pans and marshes:
Hen Harrier
Booted Eagle
Osprey
Kestrel
Buzzard
Peregrine

My initial post regarding a possible Hobby sighting was almost certainly the juvenile Peregrine I saw on subsequent visits and it became quite active around Cabanas for a short time, trying to catch egrets and other unlikely birds.

thanks

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back