• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpecker nesting box wisdom (1 Viewer)

Pauly99

United Kingdom
Looking for advice about whether or not to install a woodpecker nesting box.
I’ve got a fair sized back garden with a few large mature trees. The most frequent residents are great tits and chaffinches but we get a variety of other birds popping in for a feed such as wagtails, greenfinches, goldfinches blackbirds pigeons and robins amongst others. A few squirrels reside in a nearby wild area and visit daily. We’ve had the occasional woodpecker and it occurred to me to install a woodpecker nesting box. But I’ve begun to wonder whether it’s a good idea to have some living so close given the other birds that are surely nesting in the various boxes I’ve put out. Grateful for any advice. With thanks, P.

Nesting Sites: Most woodpeckers are cavity-nesting species that will appreciate a thoughtful birdhouse or natural cavity in a dead tree. Birdhouses should be mounted 10-20 feet high to attract woodpeckers, and entrance holes should be appropriately sized for the woodpecker species you hope will use the house.

Hi there Pauly and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Over the years we’ve had some issues with Great Spots being aggressive and even killing the odd bird at our feeding station. They are also well known as predators of nestlings and will break into nest boxes to get at them. Their population is booming in the U.K. nowadays and may be having a negative effect on some other hole nesting species. I’ve tried hard to “pecker proof” our nest boxes with slate or stainless steel hole protectors. For years I wanted them to visit our garden(s) but now I’ve seen their darker side, I’m happier if they keep their distance.

P.S. Welcome to B.F. (y)

Over the years we’ve had some issues with Great Spots being aggressive and even killing the odd bird at our feeding station. They are also well known as predators of nestlings and will break into nest boxes to get at them. Their population is booming in the U.K. nowadays and may be having a negative effect on some other hole nesting species. I’ve tried hard to “pecker proof” our nest boxes with slate or stainless steel hole protectors. For years I wanted them to visit our garden(s) but now I’ve seen their darker side, I’m happier if they keep their distance.

P.S. Welcome to B.F. (y)
This was my concern too.

What I'm not sure about is... I know that Great Spotted Woodpeckers will break into other nests to predate on the nestlings, but do Lesser Spotted and Green woodies do that as well.

And which woodpecker is Pauly getting in the garden?

May I wish you another welcome too Pauly - I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

Nesting Sites: Most woodpeckers are cavity-nesting species that will appreciate a thoughtful birdhouse or natural cavity in a dead tree. Birdhouses should be mounted 10-20 feet high to attract woodpeckers, and entrance holes should be appropriately sized for the woodpecker species you hope will use the house.

Hi there Pauly and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)
Hi and thank you for the reply and welcome. I’ll bear that in mind if I push ahead but judging by the comments below I’m not sure it’s going to be wise. Thanks again, Paul.

P.S. Welcome to B.F. (y)
Many thanks. I think you’ve pretty much Reflected my own concerns and the last thing I want is to upset the ecosystem in my back garden! Thanks again, Paul.

This was my concern too.

What I'm not sure about is... I know that Great Spotted Woodpeckers will break into other nests to predate on the nestlings, but do Lesser Spotted and Green woodies do that as well.

And which woodpecker is Pauly getting in the garden?

May I wish you another welcome too Pauly - I hope you enjoy your time here with us.
Hi and thanks for the welcome and reply. We’ve had both a green woodpecker rummaging around on the lawn for what I think were ants, and a lesser or probably greater spotted woodpecker feeding at the feeding station. The green was a twice in eight year sighting and the spotted was probably a once or twice a year thing. I have around eight assorted nesting boxes around the garden although I’m not sure how many are in use but I think all things considered it will make sense not to invite a woodpecker to take residence and cause havoc amongst all the other birds. Paul.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back