• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

woodpeckers tumbler ridge BC Canada (1 Viewer)

janha

Hi
Please can you help me with the id?
Thanks Jan

Attachments

• IMG_8543IDcopy.jpg
    IMG_8543IDcopy.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_8513IDcopy.jpg
    IMG_8513IDcopy.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 128
Based on location, I'd say its a juvenile Red-napped. The only other sapsucker with a white eyebrow is the Yellow-bellied, but it shouldn't be that far west.

I've jut had a quick look and at Flatbed Falls to the south of Tumbler Ridge they have Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.
Could be Red-napped but don't rule out Yelow-bellied on location.

Andy

I think the 1st one is a Juvy Red-naped due to the uniform dark crown.

I'm just going to say the second one is a juvenile hybrid Red-naped/Yellow-bellied.;)

Just a caution [on the 2nd bird], this bird may well have the white lateral stripe hidden by the overlapping breast feathers......I see this happen all the time.

Also, I have seen a few juveniles where the white stripe is very reduced, often broken or very much slimmer than expected.

I've jut had a quick look and at Flatbed Falls to the south of Tumbler Ridge they have Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.
Could be Red-napped but don't rule out Yelow-bellied on location.

I think you are right. I would personally leave both photos unidentified since there is so much overlap in characteristics between the two (and also the possibility of hybrids); though some western birders with more experience with this problem might be able to help us out.

Could the second be a juvenile yellow-bellied?

Just looking at Sibley's, it could be--red-naped juvenile looks to have a blacker back typically. There is a timing difference in the molt of the two; if these photos were taken yesterday, that would suggest YB since RN molts sooner. But EXIF indicates juvenile photo was taken in mid-september.

Best,
Jim

No, it would still show the distinct thick white stripe on the wing that the bird in pic 1 shows.

Both are Sapsucker with #1 being a Yellow-bellied and #2 being something I'm not sure of.

Hi Matt,

Both YBS and RNS show a thick white stripe. The white stripe just seems to be hidden by feathers in shot #2--as James suggests. I don't see that anyone has advanced a compelling reason for #1 being a YBS rather than RNS.

Best,
Jim

Not sure exactly where tumbler ridge is, but both birds have an all dark cap suggesting red-naped rather than yellow-bellied, and as Jim says, very difficult to tell apart. Certainly both are juvenile sapsuckers.

Scott

Last edited:
Hi Matt,

Both YBS and RNS show a thick white stripe. The white stripe just seems to be hidden by feathers in shot #2--as James suggests. I don't see that anyone has advanced a compelling reason for #1 being a YBS rather than RNS.

Best,
Jim

Ah ok, when I looked through my books I didn't see the thick white on the other sapsucker but I see you are right now. Sorry for giving off false information, excuse anything I said.

Matt, we have all been guilty of shooting off an answer that afterwards proved to be a brain fart.

The only person who does not make any errors is the one who does nothing

Niels

What about female/juv Williamson's? I looked up Tumbler Ridge and it would be close to normal range. There's a female Williamson's in Kansas right now, so maybe I just have them on the brain.

What about female/juv Williamson's? I looked up Tumbler Ridge and it would be close to normal range. There's a female Williamson's in Kansas right now, so maybe I just have them on the brain.

Don't think so. There looks to be some red feathering on the crown [as some YB types show] and there is too much facial pattern showing for Willies.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back