• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wootton Art 2012 (1 Viewer)

Found this on the SWLA website:

"The winners of prizes and awards at the show were: Tim Wootton (Birdwatch Artist of the Year Award in association with Swarovski Optic); ... ..."

Good detective work Larry, almost ;), that was what he got last year! He's on a roll now! :t:

Does anyone know what time the bar opens......and will the landlord put in an appearance for his fans.......?

B :)

OK, whos got the cork screw.?

Well done Tim, well deserved (again)......

:t::t:
Just in case Mr Modesty forgets, I'm here to name and shame. Our Mr Wootton has not only gone and won yet another award this year, but is also now a full member of the SWLA. I'll let him give the details, but I just wanted to be first in the queue for the celebratory drinks.
:clap:B :):clap:B :):clap::clap:

what an honor to have well earned and deserved...I feel so honored to have watched your work evolve these last few years.

Congratulations Tim! I saw it and commented on FB already but as Nick said, we all wait to hear the details.I`m so glad to hear that your work received the recognition it deserves..

Paschalis

Congratulations! And a beautiful job on the Waxwings, too. Really to hope to see some when I move back to Blighty in a couple of weeks.

Many, many thanks. I am again very honoured to have had the incredible good fortune to have been awarded the inaugral Langford Field Sketch Award. And a career-long dream has also been realised with election to full membership of the SWLA, so thanks to Nick for flagging these two milestones up on my behalf. What of course he forgot to mention is that he won the Langford award (the fieldsketch's predecessor) and was elected full member ages ago. We will always be on the catch-up with that Derry boy - but he sets us all the highest of bars and drags us screaming and kicking by the bootlaces to greater personal achievements.
Thanks again.
Now - has anyone seen any waxwings this year ;) . . .

Attachments

• DSCN0101 (624x800).jpg
    DSCN0101 (624x800).jpg
    249 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN0102 (800x718).jpg
    DSCN0102 (800x718).jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN0103 (583x800).jpg
    DSCN0103 (583x800).jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN0104 (590x800).jpg
    DSCN0104 (590x800).jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
, , ,

Attachments

• waxwing 1 (596x800).jpg
    waxwing 1 (596x800).jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 50
  • waxwing 2 (800x736).jpg
    waxwing 2 (800x736).jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 64
  • waxwing 3 (586x800).jpg
    waxwing 3 (586x800).jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 48
  • waxwing 4 (594x800).jpg
    waxwing 4 (594x800).jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 45
A couple of those sheets make my mouth water. Congrats on your awards to be honest I wasnt sure what they all meant but a quick google sorted that out:-O Well deserved :t:

To me, your latest sketches, the Goldcrests and the Waxwings, put you next to Lars Jonsson. That means there are now two painters at the top of my personal list. I am sure there's a lot of hard work behind this, but your gift becomes more and more obvious. You really deserve all kind of awards, and I can't wait to see more work like this - it is such an inspiration!

Many, many thanks. I am again very honoured to have had the incredible good fortune to have been awarded the inaugral Langford Field Sketch Award. And a career-long dream has also been realised with election to full membership of the SWLA, so thanks to Nick for flagging these two milestones up on my behalf. What of course he forgot to mention is that he won the Langford award (the fieldsketch's predecessor) and was elected full member ages ago. We will always be on the catch-up with that Derry boy - but he sets us all the highest of bars and drags us screaming and kicking by the bootlaces to greater personal achievements.
Thanks again.
Now - has anyone seen any waxwings this year ;) . . .

Congratulations again Tim and thanks for the history of the award. So a belated congratulations to Nick for winning it in the past. I think it's wonderful that there is such an award.

My recent issue of Audubon magazine had an article on sketching in the field. Unfortunately it chose not your book but another new book by an American as the centerpiece of the article. Still I was happy to see some vague appreciation of field sketching going on here. I know that there are Americans who sketch in the field but in my life I've only personally run across a grand total of one! Maybe that will start to change.

And as others have said a wonderful and inspring set of waxwings.

a group of 25 on the apples chucked on the RSPB Office's lawn this morning before work - no great quality, just a memento of the morning;

Attachments

• sketch1 (578x800).jpg
    sketch1 (578x800).jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 56
  • sketch2 (589x800).jpg
    sketch2 (589x800).jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 60
  • sketch3 (611x800).jpg
    sketch3 (611x800).jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 33
  • sketch4 (626x800).jpg
    sketch4 (626x800).jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 49
. . .

Attachments

• sketch5 (800x609).jpg
    sketch5 (800x609).jpg
    192 KB · Views: 47
  • sketch6 (800x600).jpg
    sketch6 (800x600).jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 53
  • sketch7 (800x589).jpg
    sketch7 (800x589).jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 57
I'll come back to these when my Franche Comté list contains the species! No, enjoy them, never has a bird been so suitable for pictures, be they detailed, cut up into abstractions, eating apples on a lawn or flycatching - the waxwing is the star, and damned nice music they make too. 50km away they smell them you say, I'm going to get in the car and leave a trail of apples!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back