• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

World Yearlist Record Attempt (2 Viewers)

Hear hear! Congratulations all round to Noah, not least for being able to maintain the energy and enthusiasm to keep at it throughout the year!

It is astonishing. B :) He is still raring to go - https://www.audubon.org/news/day-363-6000-birds:-

"Passing my original goal by a thousand feels pretty sweet, especially just two days before the New Year. I’m down to the last 48 hours… the clock is ticking, and there are still a few more birds to see before midnight strikes."

I wonder how long he can stay in India after the New Year to carry on birding. Arjan arrives in North East India on 16th January 2016.....

All the best

Last edited:
Well Noah, you really have set the world alight with this amazing achievement. Bringing the birding world together, bringing focus on wildlife projects that may not have had the air time had it not been for you "being there, seeing it, and reporting about it"....... giving the hundreds of dedicated birding people some well earned exposure and teasing the people across the globe that have tuned in daily to live the snippets of the incredible daily journey that you religiously broadcasted on a near daily basis.

A record breaking year that is Wonderful, inspirational and bloomin incredible. Memories that will never leave you and friends made forever.

Arjan will travel in your footsteps so to speak and once again we will all tune in and over the next year and the viewers will use your blueprint to see how he is going on.

Enjoy a good lie in sometime in 2016..... you deserve it
Best wishes from a past companion of BWB (Days 97 - 102 of Birding without Borders)
Dave

Brilliant job, I just hope withdrawal symptoms are not too distressing for him!! It's going to be difficult to come down from this. :)

Ebird shows he's up and running with some fine-looking species. More later I suspect. He's certainly taking it to the wire to get as many as he can!

Here's the link:

http://ebird.org/ebird/country/IN/activity

Just noticed that he put in a list for this morning - it includes 99 species seen/heard! Many already recorded I'm sure....

Also, if he didn't get it in SE Asia before, a later list does contain the mythical words Siberian and Rubythroat!

Last edited:
Jon

Indeed. He appears to have celebrated 6,000 with a 10 hour day, 128 species and 24 additions if I’m interpreting his Checklists correctly:-

http://ebird.org/ebird/country/IN/activity

https://www.audubon.org/news/the-species-list

A very tough act for Arjan to follow. Noah is proving pretty remarkable in my view.

He has added 8 more species on the WP list so the WP will definitely end the year as the region for which he has seen the largest percentage of species on its list despite having spent very little time there…..

All the best

Last edited:
So if my cross-checking holds up (no guarantees), he has added 42 species from 3 days in North East India with one more day to go. I wonder what tomorrow will bring. As a chess move, covering off 50 odd species that Arjan would have seen on his itinerary that Noah wouldn't appears a pretty shrewd one whether it was the absolutely optimal location or not. A similar analogy would be covering off a breakaway in the Tour de France? In hindsight, his Sri Lanka foray appears a similar manoeuvre? I think he cares more about keeping hold of the record than the Blog may suggest (or even he admits to himself).........

All the best

Last edited:
I should never have doubted him reaching 6,000! He must have some good birders with him as I don't think that an American with little experience of old world warblers would find it easy to sort out all those species in winter plumage - I certainly didn't feel confident with the Phylloscs when I was in India on my own many years ago.

So if my cross-checking holds up (no guarantees), he has added 42 species from 3 days in North East India with one more day to go. I wonder what tomorrow will bring. As a chess move, covering off 50 odd species that Arjan would have seen on his itinerary that Noah wouldn't appears a pretty shrewd one whether it was the absolutely optimal location or not. A similar analogy would be covering off a breakaway in the Tour de France? In hindsight, his Sri Lanka foray appears a similar manoeuvre? I think he cares more about keeping hold of the record than the Blog may suggest (or even he admits to himself).........

All the best

Well, Noah has certainly set the bar very high, plus he has not left any obvious chinks to exploit.
Arjan will have to be both very good and very lucky to beat Noah's splendid record. That is just how it should be.
Go Arjan!

Classy ending from my perspective, 15 would-be new ones for me in NE India from those 2 full days, plus the vulture from the day before. And still another day to go. Must go there one day, somehow!

I'm wondering if one of the real secrets to doing this sort of thing is simply not getting really sick for a whole year. To all the other things you need, add an iron constitution ;-)

Congratulations on a superb effort Noah, but the question I am most intrigued by is what is going to be the first bird that he sees in 2016 that he didn't see in 2015....

When you are young, well travelled and take care about what you eat, you should be fine. However, I saw Noah e.g. drink some local beverage near Junin, Peru that I would never drink!

I wonder how many new ones he would have gotten if he would have travelled to e.g. Sulawesi or W-Papua for those last 4 days?

If he really cares so much about the record, he shouldn't have done Antarctica, but at the other hand, this adds another continent to the list which is obviously good for the story / book / and of course the experience!

Final day, final posts on Ebird: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S26553344

I'm sure Paul will work out how many of them are new.

Spose we've got to do it all again with Arjan now. Bring it on, I hope he has time tomorrow to see the Bunting and the Buzzard. Not sure how far they are from all the others he's aiming for.

Been a fascinating year to follow.

It looks like 10 to me with one more WP species - though I prefer to call it White's Thrush.

He has another hour and a half left to look for night birds and then he can start his 2016 Year List. 3:)

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back