• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worth upgrading ATM80HD to ATX? (1 Viewer)

Purchased an ATX95 a couple months ago. Currently it's on a 18 yr-old Bogen 3130 head (= old version of Manfrotto 128RC) and Gitzo G1227 legs. Immediate predecessor was an ATS80HD 20x-60x.

It is noticeably bulkier and heavier than the ATS80. You may need to consider upgrading your head and/or legs. My current head/legs combo provide sufficient support, a fair breeze (20mph?) had little effect. However the head needs to be locked down to prevent vertical flop. Also, my 3130 is a little stiff and ratchety at times, I was looking to replace it even before getting the ATX 95. So I'm am upgrading to a Sirui VH-10. The new Manfrotto MHXPRO-2W was enticing due to the new duo-setting fluid set up and the fact that the scope's foot fits directly into the plate socket (like the 128RC). Unfortunately, it was a major disappointment. The scope/socket fit wasn't tight enough and there was some movement of the foot within the socket. Much worse is that Manfrotto badly screwed the design, it is inherently unbalanced with the plate socket sitting almost completely behind the tilt axis. Everything wants to fall backwards even at the higher fluid setting. I wouldn't be surprised if even a 60mm scope would need to be tilt locked to prevent backwards flop. Too bad, I had great hopes for this new compact head.

On the plus side regarding the weight. It wasn't noticeably heavier to carry (legs resting on my shoulder) than the ATS80.

So far I've only had a 4-5 chances to take the ATX95 out. They have all been under good lighting conditions. One with occasional dirty air.

The initial view at 30x is usually fantastic. I don't get the immediate urge to crank up the zoom like I did with the four previous 20x-60x scopes I've had. Of course you're already starting at 50% greater power, but even so the view seems so clear, bright and eyefilling.

Dialing in perfect focus at high powers takes a deft touch with maybe a 1/32"-1/16" movement of the focus wheel. The one outing with occasional dirty air was puzzling. It was mid-morning at a mudflat on a new dredged spoils basin for our water supply lake. Clear blue skies, sun at my back, little or no breeze. At times 70X was sharp as a tack at 100-200yds, other times even 50x was quite blurry. There did not seem to be any atmospheric changes to cause the blurring. Also it seemed like I was doing a lot of focusing, but there was quite a deep field to go through, with birds from 25yds to over 200 yards out.

I'm fairly certain the ATX95 will really shine under overcast skies and at dawn/dusk. It was a chance to use a friend's Kowa 883 at dusk last winter that opened my eyes to the new larger diameter scopes and ultimately led to purchase of the ATX95.

Last edited:
I have the ATX95 and use it in place of my ATS with 20-60x. The ATX95 is fabulous to look through. Mine is teamed up with a weighty Gitzo tripod and I find this combination too heavy to walk far with. I think your idea of also getting the 65 objective is a good one. You can team this up with a much lighter tripod and have yourself a top quality portable outfit to complement the power of the 95.

I've had an ATX95 for just over a year now & never once regretted shelling out for it. Previously I'd been using a Leica APO 65 (which I bought after suddenly acquiring back problems thanks to white van man!) - which I still think is a fabulous scope, but hankered after the extra brightness in marginal situations you get from a bigger objective.

Anyway, last year a local dealer was selling off the last of their ATM80's at a bargain price so I considered trading in my Leica for one. On comparing the ATM80 to the Leica - despite the bigger objective - I could see no improvement in brightness & if anything less sharpness. However, as they had recently got some ATX's in I had a quick look through one & was just blown away by the improvement: mega-sharp, mega-bright, instant confirmation that the ATM80 would be at best a sideways step.

Jump forward a month & visiting Birdfair & had another chance to check out the ATX against the Leica in a more realistic situation (if you can call the occasional bounce of the Swaro tower realistic) and in poor light was blown away again. The following week got an excellent deal trading in my Leica for the ATX: checked out 65 & 85mm objectives but they just didn't offer the level of improvement over my old scope to justify the upgrade. To be honest in 95% of situations I don't use the extra magnification, but when you do need it (Breydon Great Knot for example), you'll be glad you've got it - as will your mates struggling to make out the bird! Oh yes - and just occasionally you just want the extra thrill of kicking it up to 70x on some poor unsuspecting passerine at 30 yards (I'm thinking of a subalp on Aggie last October in brilliant sunshine - awesome) ...

Personally I've never considered getting either of the smaller objectives since - the 95 just seemed so much better. I know some people find having the 30x minimum magnification makes locating a bird harder but I can't say I've found it to be an issue. There is also a weight penalty, but using a Scopac or similar on any long walks I barely notice the extra couple of pounds.

The only other thing I've subsequently upgraded is my tripod. Although my old Manfrotto 190CXPRO legs & 128RC head were adequate I ultimately changed to Feisol CT-3372 Elite legs - which I find incredibly stable and remarkably light - with a Manfrotto MVH500AH head. This head has the advantage of using a long sliding plate easily enabling you to balance the scope properly if you're into digiscoping.

My only other observation is that you raised this thread over a month ago ... surely you've been and demo'd both scopes side-by-side? When I did this it was an instant no-brainer ... maybe if you didn't feel the same thing you must be happy with your current scope - so save yourself the cash!

Good luck whichever way you decide to go

Chris A.

Almost the same comment as Chis A above, had a Leica APO 65 and an old Kowa, one look through the ATX95 was enough, it is just amazing. Would still use the Leica if weight was a factor ie trips abroad. At my age!! the walk along the east bank at Cley with the ATX, tripod with a heavy gimble head and a big Canon lens is hard enough.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back