• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher in Toronto? (1 Viewer)

Michal B

Canada
Saw (and heard) a number of Least Flycatchers today. I was able to get a only couple of photos as they flitted between trees. One of those shows a bird with a yellowish wash over much of its throat and belly. Enough to ID it as a yellow-bellied flycatcher?

Attachments

• Flycatcher.jpg
    Flycatcher.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Least flycatcher 1.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 13
Saw (and heard) a number of Least Flycatchers today. I was able to get an only couple of photos as they flitted between trees. One of those shows a bird with a yellowish wash over much of its throat and belly. Enough to ID it as a yellow-bellied flycatcher?
Yellow throat = Yellow-bellied. Hard for me to be sure of the yellow throat in this photo but it does seem like it’s a Yellow-bellied.

The throat looks far too white for me. Yellow-bellied Flycatchers in the autumn should show little to no contrast between the throat and the belly, unlike the bird in these photos.

I think they are both Least, photo #2 for sure. I don't see any yellow on the actual throat, and #2 has grayer/browner upperparts than I would expect for a Yellow-bellied.

I had reservations about the ID as Yellow-bellied Flycatcher. I didn't notice the yellow wash until I looked at the photo and at the time I heard nothing other than the Least Flycatchers. I did try increasing the colour saturation of the image and can now see the lack of yellow in the throat. But it was different enough from the Least Flycatcher (#2), that I had to ask. Thanks for the expert input.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back