• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow Legged Gull - Poland (1 Viewer)

AGDK

Hello

I saw this gull today at the beach in along the Baltic coast... Clear yellow legs, but not dark yellow... For me the wing pattern could also point to Larus michahellis, but the bill doesn't look right to me?

Is it just a yellow-legged Larus argentatus or a real Larus michahellis?

Thanks

Attachments

• Flying Front.jpg
    Flying Front.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 61
  • Flying side 1.jpg
    Flying side 1.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 58
  • Flying side.jpg
    Flying side.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Standing.jpg
    Standing.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 58
Hello,
your bird has a wrong primary pattern for a YLG:
  • p5 doesnt have any markings, the majority has a complete band there
  • the YLG in SW-Germany (that I can ID as such) has much more black on p9 (and p8), sometimes I get the impression of a triangular black wing-tip, vaguely remiscent of a Kittiwake (against Herring Gull)
  • I see a clear flesh/rosy tinge to the legs. Yes, I learned from Lou and others here and the literature (thank you) about variation, but once I have detected the wrong primary pattern, I look and have more confidence in other features.
So, its either a Herring Gull or a Caspian x Herring Gull hybrid imo:
does the pattern on p9 with the clear and long grey are on the inner web, indicate Caspian Gull influence? No, I learned from here and Martin Gottschlings excellent paper, that some pure HG have this pattern, too: https://www.google.com/url?esrc=s&q...YQFnoECAgQAg&usg=AOvVaw2Iq-JCyM7dsm8_9S5hEAHf

And with a pale eye, a good head-bill jizz for a HG and a unmarked p5 and a complete black p10 (apart from the white tip) this is an adult Herring Gull imo.
But better for wait for the experts. Thanks in advance!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back