• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow-Legged Gull? Stuttgart, Germany, 2/22 (1 Viewer)

Lanugoh

Germany
Hi!
Can anyone confirm Yellow-Legged Gull?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20220219_180452.jpg
    20220219_180452.jpg
    559.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220219_180512.jpg
    20220219_180512.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 44
Hello,
I agree with you it looks like an adult YLG for me, too. The other possible contender imo its an adult LBBG, but this should have darker wings with less contrast to black wing-tip in many and more black bajonnett on p6, always?)
Your pictures highlights a problem quite well. Shade and darkness value of mantle looks like a normal YLG looks like directly hit by warm (and coming from an flat angle) morning or evening light. This enhances darkness value and shifts it towards darker hues. This is most evident=serious problem in YLG and Common Gull (I havent found a reason, maybe others can?).
Yes, complete band on p5 is slightly narrower than an 100% YLG= its easy to find one with a broader one. But your YLG is easy within variation.

(And yes, Stuttgart is in the SW corner of Germany, where I (still) use a lazy approach when identifying YLG. Err, I promise to change this, as I know the experts read here too)

sure a YLG, probably one of the local adults although I don't recognize this individual instantly, with its almost all white p10 tip.
black extensions rather than bayonetts, Alexander, but they are quite variable in both taxa (present or not etc.), on average the passing LBBG here (intermedius) have considerably more black in wingtip than this and an all white p10 tip is rather to be expected in graellsii, but still uncommon.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back