• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow Wagtail, Dhaka, Bangladesh, Feb 2020 (1 Viewer)

Seth Miller

United States
Yellow wagtails here are a mess. It's just been discovered in the last few months that we actually have both eastern and western in Bangladesh. First an Indian birder found many eastern yellow down in Chittagong area (south east) then there were a few found in Rajshahi (north west). Then I went back and looked through my old photos of presumed western yellow and discovered that one large flock was actually eastern.
Now finding it really confusing when I see yellow wagtails. Here's a photo I got this morning. I'm thinking eastern because of fairly dark ear coverts and greenish wash to the back, but finding these really confusing. It didn't call unfortunately.

Attachments

• P1060335 (2).jpg
    P1060335 (2).jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 60
  • P1060330 (2).jpg
    P1060330 (2).jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 59
  • P1060324 (2).JPG
    P1060324 (2).JPG
    455.9 KB · Views: 64
I'm wondering if this could be Eastern YW, subspecies taivana? Green-headed Wagtail. Overwinter in Myanmar but that's not too distant from where you are?

Definitely not taivana, which has a broad supercilium in all plumages, usually with at least some yellow by February.

I'd say it's either Western thunbergi or Eastern macronyx, which are very similar. Judging by the narrow wing bars and green on the head, perhaps thunbergi for this bird?

Definitely not taivana, which has a broad supercilium in all plumages, usually with at least some yellow by February.

I'd say it's either Western thunbergi or Eastern macronyx, which are very similar. Judging by the narrow wing bars and green on the head, perhaps thunbergi for this bird?

I see thunbergi on a daily basis in Russia, but not with green heads?

This bird appears to be showing a lot of grey on the back, also at odds with thunbergi?

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback everyone!
I'm hoping to get some photos once they're in breeding plumage as well which should make it somewhat easier.

Here are two google photo albums from of other yellow wagtails from the same location. One was last year and one was in January of this year. A good Indian birder confirmed that most of them were Eastern, but wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts as well.
March 2019: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Qe3eTj7XjCRccgZB7
January 2020: https://photos.app.goo.gl/u1n7dbXyNjLUNn7n6

*the album from January is my brothers photo since my camera is having problems. Posted with his permission...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back