• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow Warbler in the Yucatan. (1 Viewer)

Sborg

United States
I photgraphed this Yellow Warbler in the Rio Lagartos area of the Yucatan 1 Dec 2023. Would like some input on the subspecies this one might be, given the reddish markings on the head. Thanks.Yellow Warbler.JPG

I can't really see reddish head markings. I'd say ssp aestiva. "Classic" mangrove warbler would have an obvious reddish head

I can't really see reddish head markings. I'd say ssp aestiva. "Classic" mangrove warbler would have an obvious reddish head
If you venture online, you should see variants of Mangrove Warbler regarding the amount of red on the head, hence my use of the word.

There's also Golden Warbler (petechia subspecies group) to consider... IMO this picture on its own looks ambiguous. Are there more images of this bird?

There's also Golden Warbler (petechia subspecies group) to consider... IMO this picture on its own looks ambiguous. Are there more images of this bird?
That's Caribbean islands though, isn't it? Not one of the 3 commonly encountered forms on Yucatan

Here's another pic, essentially the same view. You can see red streaks on the throat and lores and behind the eye.

Yellow Warbler_2.JPG

A pic of a typical Mangrove type.
View attachment 1548681

Merlin indicates the Golden is also found in the Yucatan.
only on Cozumel island which has 2 distinct and likely endemic forms (I'm unsure what the status of the most recently described one is): the "golden warbler" subspecies there is rufivertex. This group/species is otherwise only on Caribbean islands.

Edit: The Mexican guide indicates there are 3 common forms in Mexico. Leaving aside rufivertex you have aestiva and bryanti (=mangrove warbler). I note Clements recognises other sspp in Mexico. I still think this is aestiva, but of course they're somewhat variable.

Still not seeing pronounced reddish tones: certainly not as compared with the chest streaking. I think lighting explains what you're seeing.
Disagree. I think the OP's description...
You can see red streaks on the throat and lores and behind the eye.
...is perfectly fair - ditto for the first photo - allowing of course for (sadly common) misuse of the word 'red' when the colour is actually rufous.

In all fairness, Ria Lagartos / Rio Lagartos area is on the coast with some mangroves so it is a location where the mangrove form of the yellow warbler is possible.

My experience was that it was usually clear in the field. Most were mangrove; the other forms were clearly different---brighter, more yellow without any hint of reddish. Mangrove +/- always had some (obvious)rufous on the head iirc. I think it's much more difficult from these photos

At risk of us (both) repeating ourselves... I don't see any issues with this bird: in both photos it clearly has substantial dark rufous-brown on side and lower parts of head - which I take it puts the ID beyond doubt.

Still not seeing pronounced reddish tones: certainly not as compared with the chest streaking. I think lighting explains what you're seeing.
IMO the second picture shows that it's pigment and not lighting related. I'd expect individuals from the aestiva complex to have a more yellow head with less dark "staining", but I'm not an expert on the taxon.

I also see this as having some reddish feathering coming in on the face. I would hazard a guess that it is a young male "Mangrove" that is in the process of moulting into adult plumage. With NA wood warblers (and at least some other passerines) the head feathers can be among the last ones moulted, hence the pretty distinctive reddish streaks on the breast (likely finished/almost finished moulting) but limited reddish in the face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back