• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yet Another Scope Advice Thread (1 Viewer)

knb

United Kingdom
Hello, I'm looking at getting a small scope and after browsing through umpteen threads, I'm thinking something like the Opticron MM4 60 ED with the SDL v3 eyepiece gives a reasonable balance of cost, size. performance and light transmission for the times and sites I'm likely to use it at. I do have a couple of questions though.

1. I've seen mention of the Baader mk IV eyepiece which is cheaper than the SDL but can't seem to find out how they compare. Is that something I should be considering? I like the sound of the Opticron 30x eyepiece but understand it's hard to get hold of now.

2. I'm not averse to buying used so would I be better seeing if I could get hold of something like a secondhand Kowa TSN 663? The new price is about 40% higher than the Opticron so beyond my budget (and I realise it's also about 40% heavier). Is there a world of difference between the two?

TIA

So I guess it comes down to whether anyone has done any comparisons between the SDLv3 (or SDLv2) and the Baader Hyperion MkIV zoom on an Opticron MM4 60 ED?

Although, just to throw another spanner in the works, how would the Opticron combo compare to a used Nikon Fieldscope III ED 60?

If you are trying to save money with the MM4 I'd recommend the HDF zoom eyepiece. I had the MM3ED/HDF & MM4/SDL2 for a period and could barely tell a difference when mixing and matching.

If you are trying to save money with the MM4 I'd recommend the HDF zoom eyepiece. I had the MM3ED/HDF & MM4/SDL2 for a period and could barely tell a difference when mixing and matching.
Many thanks for that. I was more wondering whether the Baader was better as well as being better value. Apologies, I should have been clearer. I can't seem to find any comparison between the two, although I think I saw something about the Baader having a wider view.

Wonder if this will work with the Baader mark3 zoom, maybe not as it needs a little more focus travel than the mark4. Be good for someone to test this out and report.

Peter

Just got an Opticron MM4 60Ead and tried the Baader 8-24 mark IV with 41.5mm adapter (with the slide on “dust sleeve” removed) and the eyepiece will only go in about 6mm, it appears the lower smooth section of the eyepiece hole is a tiny bit narrower than the upper threaded bit. So either I sand something to remove 200microns or so…. Or I get an Opticron zoom, which I’d not budgeted for. Shame as the Baader has a wider field of view (especially at the short end) :-(

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back