• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (2 Viewers)

Just had info from Rodley ref. this event Linda,it was been forwarded round all our members in Nidderdale Birdwatchers,hope at least some of us can support it.

Thanks Pete - come and say hi!

for everyone else, I've attached the poster for the Leeds Birdfair. If you can think of anywhere to display it then that would be very helpful.

While I'm on BF, anyone on here look after Calder Wetlands? I've just arranged a springwatch event with the staff at Pugneys on Thursday 16th June and it would be great if you could come along.

Attachments

• Birdfair poster.jpg
    Birdfair poster.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 100
Be at the Barden Bridge car park for 0630 this Sunday and there'll be a few of us doing the walk. Would be good to have a new face along.

wish I could join you tomorrow - I've committed myself to a birdwatching advice day at the Blue Barn. If I was really organised, I could do the walk and still get down to Pool for 10am. Sadly I'm not though! Wishing you wood warblers.

Thanks Linda, your poster for the Leeds Bird Fair has travelled a bit, I put it onto my facebook timeline and a couple of friends have shared it already. Wishing you well for the day, shame I'm not in the UK then.
The walk is usually about 4-5 hours, we don't rush things so you'd be well late for the Blue Barn.

Thanks Linda, your poster for the Leeds Bird Fair has travelled a bit, I put it onto my facebook timeline and a couple of friends have shared it already. Wishing you well for the day, shame I'm not in the UK then.
The walk is usually about 4-5 hours, we don't rush things so you'd be well late for the Blue Barn.

Thanks for spreading the word Keith

Be at the Barden Bridge car park for 0630 this Sunday and there'll be a few of us doing the walk. Would be good to have a new face along.

quote=tba20042003;3395107]Barden to Strid Walk
Good Morning. Please could someone give me some details of the Barden walk to the Strid. I know that just over Barden Bridge there is a car park which is where I assume people park, but where does the walk begin? Is it on the same side of the river as the car park, or do you walk back over the bridge? Any help, advice and tips would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks. Tom
[/QUOTE]
Keith, thanks so much for the invite. Gutted to say I've been away this weekend otherwise would have definitely joined you. How did it go today - what sightings did you manage?
Thanks again.
Tom

Tom, we had 4 wood warblers, same number of redstarts, half dozen pied fly, double figures spot fly, 3 kingfishers (or same bird in 3 locations), green woodpecker, treecreeper (singleton) and bizarrely a reed bunting on Barden Moor.

We had at least 3 singing male Wood Warblers at Bolton Abbey yesterday,about 400 yards upstream of the bridge at Cavendish.An old tree with a fantastic show of roots at the side of the path is a good marker for location.

Cuckoo, stonechat, reed bunting and a minimum of three Ring Ouzel (possibly five depending on whether we saw two of the birds twice) on Barden Moor this morning.

Cycled to and from Skipwith common today, only heard the songsters I was hoping to see but gutted to find a report of common crane mentioned on Birdguides. The best sighting I had was a hunting hobby. Hoping for a more successful days birding on Thursday at the Strid despite the poor weather forecast.

Had my trip to the Bolton Abbey/Barden area today. Couldn't find any ring ouzels in the murk and drizzle but managed cuckoo, woodcock, three singing wood warblers (one very close to Cavendish pavilion), tawny owl, possible whinchat, stonechat and the other specialities of the Strid.

Request for assistance from the Biking Birder

My good friend Gary Prescott, aka the Biking Birder, is passing through Lincolnshire in the next couple of weeks as part of his quest to see 300 species by bike this year (and potentially also break the European Green Birding record which currently stands at 304 species). He is also raising money for four charities at the same time, including the RSPB and Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust.

Gary is currently on 250 species for the year but has a number of the tricky outstanding birds including Quail, a species he missed when he undertook a similar challenge last year, and Wood Warbler. Gary would be grateful for any details of sites (the further east in the county the better) - if you don't wish to post on the forum then either PM me and I will pass the message on or contact Gary direct on either 07988754090 or [email protected]. Many thanks in advance.

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back