• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (6 Viewers)

Been to Frampton Today. The weather wasnt too good but I had a great day with 55 species in a couple of hours which included Temminck's Stint, Little Stint, and a showey pair of Turtle Doves. The Red Necked Phalarope wasnt seen all day.

BTO Survey

Sorry Rovin' didn't see your post as I'd already gone to bed, 4.00am start on the surveys so I need at least some sleep.
The surveys are simple things to do, just listing all birds seen and heard, but doing them on your own is tedious so company would be welcome for the next one which will be next month. I'll pm you nearer the time, it will be a Sunday morning for sure.

Today's survey was done with almost no cloud cover and plenty of sunshine in the open areas. So much better than last Sunday.

Not as many whitethroat as last year, but yellowhammer numbers beat last year hollow. Couldn't find any skylarks at all which maintains the trend, that I've been logging over the last 8-9 years, of dropping numbers, last year I only found a single singing bird. Willow warblers and blackcaps were at a similar level to last year but only 1 chiffchaff singing today. I was expecting the wren numbers to have dropped due to last winter but found birds singing at all the usual locations and in part of the area where I hadn't logged them before. Most unexpected bird was a curlew flying through and landing across the river.

I found two broods of goosander on the river but I don't hold out much hope for them as I also found what appeared to be a pair of mink in the immediate area. I say a pair as one was a good one third bigger than the other when I saw them together. They do look cute but boy do I wish I'd had something a little more lethal than a sharpened pencil on me.

I was watching the goosanders trying to get a picture when one of the bullocks in the field thought it would come and say hello. First time I've ever had a cow nuzzle my back. To say I was startled would be an understatement, as I'd been so engrossed in trying to get the picture I hadn't realised how close the animal was coming. The same beast came to say goodbye when I reached the end of the survey, I was stood at the gate to the field watching the mink when it again came over and started to nuzzle me. Was most amusing when one of the mink came bouncing up the riverbank turned to make it's way through the gate, saw me and then reversed direction to run between the bullocks feet before scuttling down the riverbank and into the water.

added a few pics from just outside the survey area.

Attachments

• carrion-crow.jpg
    carrion-crow.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Spurn Today

Cracking morning down at Spurn today.
Started off with quail (heard) in clubleys field, then golden oriole and bee-eater at sammy's Point then finished with tawny pipit at Beacon Ponds.
For anyone interested there are more shots on the blog.

Attachments

• untitled-2.JPG
    untitled-2.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 91
  • untitled-4.JPG
    untitled-4.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 117
  • untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 113
Had a trip to Hatfield Moor this afternoon hoping that the Temmincks was still there, unfortunately not. Leaving the hide a hobby flew over, went into a fantastic stoop and disappeared. Moved on to the next hide and watched a Lapwing brooding three small chicks calling them in each time the rain came over. A cuckoo was extremely vocal but not showing, did a full circuit of the area it was in but it was too far in. A walk around produced a good selection of birds, loads of sand martin and swift over the lake.

Moved on to Fairburn only to realise I'd left my monopod in the hide at Hatfield. A return trip was successful so thanks to anyone who saw it and left it there but the 50 odd mile round trip was a waste of time. No pics worth sticking on.

Had a trip to Hatfield Moor this afternoon hoping that the Temmincks was still there, unfortunately not. Leaving the hide a hobby flew over, went into a fantastic stoop and disappeared. Moved on to the next hide and watched a Lapwing brooding three small chicks calling them in each time the rain came over. A cuckoo was extremely vocal but not showing, did a full circuit of the area it was in but it was too far in. A walk around produced a good selection of birds, loads of sand martin and swift over the lake.

Moved on to Fairburn only to realise I'd left my monopod in the hide at Hatfield. A return trip was successful so thanks to anyone who saw it and left it there but the 50 odd mile round trip was a waste of time. No pics worth sticking on.
Good job you remembered to shut your boot this week Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back