• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Eastern Osprey, Australia? (1 Viewer)

Wiganlad

Landing in a tree behind the house in Safety Bay, WA, Australia end of January, is this a young Eastern Ospre? I am concerned that the visible eye stripe only goes behind the eye.
hawk2.jpghawk3.jpghawk4.jpghawk5.jpghawk6.jpg

There, I am suggesting it: up to now I had never heard of the species, but is Square-tailed Kite not a better option?

Southern Ryukyu Islands is as close as I have been to AUS, so...

cheers,
G
Never seen one either, but It's definitely not an Osprey, and Square-tailed Kite looks spot-on from an image search

Never seen one either, but It's definitely not an Osprey, and Square-tailed Kite looks spot-on from an image search.
Interesting. I had considered the kite because before I saw it, others told me it was brown but, like Butty, I was swayed towards Osprey by the apparent white underparts. It was a couple of hundred yards away on full video zoom though.

Interesting. I had considered the kite because before I saw it, others told me it was brown but, like Butty, I was swayed towards Osprey by the apparent white underparts. It was a couple of hundred yards away on full video zoom though.
It's only the rear part of the underparts you can see in the photos, and on google images some (juvs?) show pale lower belly and ventral areas. It's the head that really gives it away though. The dark, almost ruffed or crested rear half and pale front half with thin bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back